SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerry_nj

Automatic locking differential

jerry_nj
18 years ago

Last summer I was shopping for a replacement for my 1988 Dodge Ram 50 4WD. I was looking for something similar and focused on the Ford Ranger and the Chevy Colorado. I was looking for a basic truck but was considering again buying 4WD. Then I learned that GM has offers an automatic locking differential at a minimum cost, about $300 as I remember. Ford does not. So, I purchased the Colorado. I figured from experience I didn't have much need for a 4WD and if the ALD would get me up my driveway hill that's good enough. Today we had about 3" of snow in NorthCentral NJ. I went right out to give the antilock breaks (the Dodge didn't have, they may not have been available back then, and it did a very poor job of stopping) and ALD. We share this portion of the drive with two neighbors, and as I reached the top of the unplowed drive I saw one neighbor trying to come up with a newer front wheel drive and not making it, so I had proof that a regular unloaded pickup with only rear wheel drive was "dead meat". I went down, hit the breaks a bit hard, they worked well, went the store and came back. I stopped at the bottom of the upgrade to give the maximum test. The truck walked right up the hill, and I even tried to accelerated. I could feel the rearend slipping a bit, but it kept climbing and picking up speed. The ALD worked GREAT, I highly recommend it.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio