Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help troubleshoot fuel pump 92 c1500

Posted by formflier (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 8, 10 at 11:54

OK..I've got a 1992 Chevy c1500 2x4 with a 305 engine. As long as I keep the tank 3/4 full or better the truck keeps running. If you let it get lower than that it will act up and finally quit and leave you on the side of the road.

I've changed the fuel pumps down in the tank before..kinda a pain but was able to get it done.

what I don't remember is how to troubleshoot them to know for sure that it is a bad pump...before changing it out.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help troubleshoot fuel pump 92 c1500

It appears that the fuel pump can deliver enough if the tank is full. That means the pump runs and has enough pressure to run the engine. You did not mention any problem with the tank full. With a full tank, does the engine have full power without any fuel starving? Can pull hills ok? If so, the only thing I can think of is something is causing the fuel pump to starve when the tank drops below 3/4 full.

I believe that your fuel pickup is attached to the float assembly. It rises and falls with the float. What if the float assembly is sticking - not falling past a certain point. You would see the gas gage go down normally until it got to the 3/4 mark and then it would hang there for the next 50 miles or more, and then the engine leans out as the fuel level falls below the intake. If this is the case, when you proceed to service the tank, you will not be able to pump the tank down using the fuel pump. It will be sucking air when the tank is more than 1/2 full.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here