Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stuck Window

Posted by reekola (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 4, 06 at 11:16

My son rolled down driver electric window (96 Toyota Avalon) in very cold weather and it got stuck. This happened last winter also. Mechanic said to push down on window when pushing the window button to "reset" the switch. I tried and tried but nothing happened. There is no motor sound when trying the switch. All other windows work fine with their switches in the main panel on driver door, which are lit. The driver window switch light is not on. I have appt. with mechanic tomorrow, but will try my own fix if any of you have some ideas.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stuck Window

If you have the "express down" feature, it may be stuck in limbo because the "express-down" feature was engaged and it may not have completely made it all the way down to trigger the system back to 'normal' mode. There may be ice in the track(s) or the window seals are very stiff and/or stubbing on the glass.

Try pushing down on the glass to see if it will move a tad more. It might help to have an assistant hold the button/toggle switch in the down position, but not into the express down. If that doesn't budge anything, then repeat while momentarily moving the window switch into the 'express down' position. Be prepared to quickly remove power from the regulator motor in case its gets stalled and power continues to apply even though the window switch has been returned to neutral. To do this, turn the ignition key to off. If this does not remove power, the only option left that I know about is to undo a battery cable. It'll probably trip a breaker or blow a fuse before you can remove the battery cable.

that reminds me - look for blown fuse or tripped circuit breaker for the power window circuit.

If you can't get the window to budge downward, is there enough glass sticking up that you asist it upward when pushing the "up" button"?

I suspect that the express-down feature needs a bit of adjustment at the bottom of the window's displacement.

o
RE: Stuck Window

Thanks jemdandy! I tried pushing down hard on the window while pushing the down button (same as the express button, but don't hold down as long) many times with no results. Also tried pulling up when pulling up on the button to close window with no result. Did not look for fuse, as I saw that the other 3 windows were working and thought they would all be on the same fuse.

Unfortunately I did not get to read this until today, so it's at the mechanic now. I'll let you know what it was. Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here