Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nail in 'shoulder' of tire, slow leak

Posted by alan93 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 1, 08 at 11:11

I have a 4 wheel drive jeep with a tire that has a nail in shoulder with slow leak and is not repairable according to tires plus. They said putting a patch in that location would come off as soon as it is driven.

But they are not recommending 1 new tire but 2 due to it being 4 wheel drive and saying new tread and 50% wear old tread would cause transmission problems on same axel.

I am thinking of putting on an old same size tire with approximately same treadwear that is cheaper.

What would you do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nail in 'shoulder' of tire, slow leak

Probably the same as you. But, why do you not believe the
tire company ? They are in the tire business. The difference in tread wear will not affect the transmission.
The tire company was too broad in their statment. Your
Transfer case will be affected as it tries to equilize
the different " bites " of warn tread and new tread.
( or traction ) in other words.

o

I'd do the same as your thinking too. Put the best pair from what you have now on the front. jmo

o
RE: Nail in 'shoulder' of tire, slow leak..

You might also ask if it's possible to put an inner tube in your tire.

o

same thing happened in the wifes car same company said that it couldn't be fixed so as a stop gap i just pulled the nail found a screw abit bigger put contact cement on the screw screwed it in and it hasn't lost any air for over a year i probley should get a new set for her but we never take that car out of town,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here