SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Failing transmission questions

catherinet
9 years ago

I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey, 167,000 miles. I've always had it serviced every 6 months by a dealership service department, which I feel is extremely reputable.

Several months ago I took it in for service. They test drove it (hard) and told me my transmission was failing. They recommended not sinking any more money into it, but to just drive it 'til it dies.
It is starting to rust a little, and my wheels are bent so they can't be rotated anymore. I don't have a garage and live out in the country....where the mice/squirrels like to chew on my wiring.
My "check engine" light has been on for years (they said to ignore it, since it was probably not a bad problem....but this time it showed a transmission problem).

What they said made sense. But.....I've only been driving it a small amount, and I always drive it gently. I let it change gears very easily. I don't have any big jerks with gear change and no engine revving, etc.

They said the transmission was leaking fluid, but I never see any in my drive.

It's almost time to take it in for an oil change, and I'll have to decide how much money to sink into it if there's any other potentially dangerous problems that need fixing.

I was going to look for another car this fall, but this car seems to be holding it's own (with a little sweet-talking from me).

I asked them if I could try the fluids that sometimes help the transmission and they said no. And Honda doesn't deal with rebuilt transmissions.

Anyhow..........getting to the point (finally!)......is there anything else I might do in order to prolong the failing transmission? Can I check the fluid level myself and keep it at the right level?
I don't usually drive in traffic and only use it for shorter distances maybe 2-3 times a week.

Will it go from okay to dead one of these days, while I'm out shopping?? Or will I have more warning than that?

I appreciate any ideas you might have for me.
Thanks!

Comments (8)

Sponsored