SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prabhu78

Nissan Altime 99:Brakes/axles

prabhu78
18 years ago

Hi,

I had a grinding sound in my car when I am driving at a very slow speed or when I am applying the brakes. I thought it was mostly going to be issues with break pads.

When I took it to a brake store, they said that the pads were worn and have to be replaced. Besides that they mentioned the following which I am not sure about:

1.) They said that the calipre system has to be changed.

And they showed that the axle was kinda wearing out so the grease would stick to the rotor causing burns, which he said will spoil the rotor and said the axle has to be replaced.

Since he was going to change the axle system he said that he will have to flush the car with new fluids.

Am I being taken for a ride here or do you think it is normal.

So in total for all the above(brakes, axles, flushing, etc) he is quoting 700 + taxes.

Please advice

Thanks

Comments (3)

• john_g
    18 years ago

The biggest thing is the fact that the repairs quoted for your car are not communicated well enough for you to even accurately repeat them here. Now is that the shops fault, or is it that you really dont understand what is wrong with your car?

All too many times, shops are questioned, and even unfairly blamed for trying to "take someone for a ride" when they are really just doing their job the best they can, and trying to make sure that the car is repaired properlly and completely.

So before I or anyone else can accurately comment about the need or fairness of the work that is quoted, could you re-post with concise, clear descriptions of what is needed, and what is recommended? There may well have been options that so far you have lumped together here.

• earthworm
    18 years ago

She(the Nissan Altima) is now six years old; has there ever been any service work done ?
    For this, check your owners manual or the car's service history file...
    John G is ever so right about his post, customer - shop communications must be improved...

• jemdandy
    18 years ago

There's a whole lot of ifs here. If the wheel bearing is bad and the spindle assembly needs to be exchanged, and if the brake line will be opened, then in that case, the affected brake line must be flushed and all the air purged with new brake fluid. John G. is correct. We need better definitions of the problem. We're all guessing (ifs) at the moment.

Sponsored