Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Big price gap

Posted by sailor86 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 29, 08 at 10:03

I've got a 2002 Mitsubishi Galant SE and the AC compressor seized up a couple of months ago. Hence, I assume I need a new compressor along with the evacuation and recharging of the system with freon and a new belt. Not to mention that I have no power steering but I don't expect anything detrimental to happen to ps from nonuse.

Now I went and got 2 quotes from 2 previously used mechanics. One says around $800 and the other $1200. How can there be such a difference? I feel both are honest shops so I'm left scratching my head on this one. Anybody have any suggestions as to which one seems more like reality?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Big price gap

Honesty cannot be measured by price, neither can competency. Its likely the cheaper of the two is attempting to get more work, by doing only part of the job. An experienced shop, that has learned to do this repair correctly will be flushing the system if possible or replacing the condenser if it cannot be flushed. You may also see the expansion valve or orifice tube listed in the estimate. As well as an in line filter, and a full oil charge. (Flushing removes the old contaminated oil) So you must compare line by line items, not the final price.

The shops responsibility is not only to you to do a permanent and correct repair the first time. They have that obligation to the manufacturer of the compressor, who will require all of the steps that I briefly outlined to honor any warranty on the compressor.

The $1200 estimate does appear more in line with what it genuinely takes to do this repair correctly.

o

Maybe the low ball price is for a used compressor?

o

there's a local plant around here that reconditions used compressors. 4 seasons. That's what they're called. I guess I would have to check and see if their used compressors carry any kind of guarantee.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here