Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cutlass gasket repair

Posted by myonker (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 27, 07 at 7:35

I have a '95 Cutlass Supreme with 123.000 miles on it. I drive about 40 miles/day and haven't put more than $1000 into repair costs during the last three years. I need to replace the gasket ($800) and the brakes will need fixing in about 2 months ($500). I really don't want a new car payment (won't purchase a used car), but don't want to sink $1300 into the car if something else "big" might go wrong. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Michelle

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cutlass gasket repair

Maybe you could fix the Gasket with silicone or something.
I know to you its 'The Gasket'
But to me its just one of many.

o
RE: Cutlass gasket repair

I need to replace the gasket ($800)

Michelle,
I assume you are referring to the intake manifold gasket.
I was faced with your decision with my 95 Chevy Lumina about a year ago. I think fixing it would be a good idea based on your track record (I know I spent more than $1k on mine in last 3 years). If the engine and transmission seem to be in good shape, go for it. I would stay away from miracle goo and let a good mechanic fix it right.

The brakes are normal wear items, so I wouldn't count that against the vehicle.

Hope this helps.
-jasper

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here