Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
opinions please?

Posted by bill_h (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 11, 06 at 4:14

i`ve been in the market for a used ranger, found a 99 1 owner extended cab 4x4 loaded 4.0 auto. 71k on it, at a great price. trucks like new. owner has all receipts from all maintenance. all miles are highway. i dont know much about the 4.0 motor good or bad?? also not sure i want to take on a high mileage vehicle, but i like a bargain, and i only drive about 5k a yr. thoughts please?? should i go for it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: opinions please?

71K is "high mileage"? That's the trouble with people today. They use up a vehicle and make sure it's junk by 80K miles, then throw it away and buy a new one. Oh well.
How can we tell if it's a good deal if you don't include the price? If it's $800, go for it!

o

71,000 highway miles should be nothing. That's 10,000 miles a year and much better than 10,000 miles a year spent delivering pizzas or lab samples. It does depend on the price, but if all the records are there and you're not going to be driving much, it sounds like a no-brainer to me.

o

My son has had one of those for the last couple of years. His is a v-6, don't know what it is in 'liters'. It's been ok for him but not great. It has a flex fuel engine that started to ping excessively last year. Running higher octane fuel corrects the problem, but I'm sure somethings the matter. It should run on regular. His heater core went out last year. That's not a cheep easy repair if the vehicle has ac, which his does. Have to remove the steering column, evacuate the ac, then remove the dash to the fire wall to get to it. Must be another one of Fords' better ideas. The ABS light came on. No big deal, it was the rear speed sensor. It had a rear alxe seal leak that contaminated the brake lining. I fixed that for him. It doesn't get that great of gas mileage either. I had a bare bones chev s-10 that got 33 + mpg. I bet his loaded ranger doesn't get 20. It's a nice truck and he likes it, but it hasn't been particularly cheep to operate or problem free as you can see.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here