SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sooz_gw

Different alignment info from 2 different Toyota places? ?

sooz
10 years ago

We just got a "new" used car (2011 Highlander, 6 cyl, 2 WD), and the car place had a 120 pt check list / inspection, to make sure it was good to go, and they slapped on 4 new tires.

It was due for 20,000 mi checkup, so we took it to our local Toyota dealership for service and it was discovered that the tires etc were not aligned. The service guys printed out the info for us.

The very next day, we brought it back to the place we bought it (that gave us a Pass on the 120 pt inspection) and they took it to the Toyota dealership in a neighboring town. The alignment etc were 'found' to be within normal limits. Some of the "range" spec were different too. Huh?

I have the different "read outs" in front of me, and am wondering why there is such a disparity????

Here are the specifics that our Toyota Service place found:
Left Front "Toe" was 1.94 degrees, and normal range was noted as -0.04 to 0.12 degrees.

Right Front "Toe" was - 1.53 degrees, and normal range was noted as 0.12 to -0.04.

Left Rear "Toe" was 0.07 degrees, and normal range was noted as 0.09 to 0.26

Right Rear "Toe" was 0.35 degrees, and normal range was noted as 0.25 to 0.09 degrees.

Front Total Toe was 0.41, and normal range was noted as -0.09 to 0.23 degrees.

Front Steer Ahead was 1.74 degrees, and normal range was noted as -0.05 to 0.05 degrees.

FOR THE TOYOTA PLACE IN THE NEIGHBORING CITY, HERE IS WHAT WE GOT:
Left Front "Toe" was -0.05 degrees, and normal range was noted as -0.04 to 0.12 degrees.

Right Front "Toe" was 0.25 degrees, and normal range was noted as 0.12 to -0.04.

Left Rear "Toe" was 0.12 degrees, and normal range was noted as 0.09 to 0.25

Right Rear "Toe" was 0.19 degrees, and normal range was noted as 0.25 to 0.09 degrees.

Front Total Toe was 0.20 degrees, & normal range was noted as -0.09 to 0.23 degrees.

Front Steer Ahead was -0.4 degrees, & normal range was noted as -0.08 to 0.08 degrees.

So who the heck do I believe?

WHY is it that two different authorized Toyota service places can get such a difference in things???

The first authorized Toyota place showed I definitely needed alignment work, but the neighboring city's authorized Toyota service place only showed one area where the alignment was off (front left toe).

Thanks for any help!!!!
Smiles,
Sooz

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor