SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
piddlerdad3

1994 Grand Am - Axle

piddlerdad3
17 years ago

I own a 1994 Grand Am 4 cylinder with 84,000 miles on it. I took off both front wheels and inspected brakes and front end parts.

1) Noticed that the driver side stabilizer bar has a bolt on it with some grommets. bolt is supposed to extend into the lower control arm. It looks like the bottom grommet fell off and the bolt has separated from the control arm and is hanging with one end still attached to the stabilizer bar.

Question: I'm going to purchase the parts i need to replace the bolt on the stabilizer bar. Is this as simple as it looks? or is there more involved than just removing the old bolt and putting a new one on. How do i line up the control arm?

2) Both CV boots on the driver side axle are torn. Grease has been thrown out. I imagine CV joints are dry.

Question: Is this an automatic "replace the axle" situation? I plan on removing the axle to inspect. How can I tell if the axle is still ok? I've never replaced an axle myself, but have no money for a mechanic right now. I plan to do this myself. Any suggested websites to get instructions from? I have a Chilton's manual that covers 14 years worth of Grand Ams. Not sure I'm the best prepared right now.

Any help is much appreciated. thanks, dennis

Comments (3)

Sponsored