Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help in choosing a large SUV

Posted by Sharon620 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 9, 05 at 23:54

Hello everyone,
I am looking for a large SUV. I am interested in the Toyota Sequoia. But I am not quite sure.
Does anyone have any opinions or preferences on the toyota or any different models?
Thanks for your help!
Sharon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help in choosing a large SUV

Why settle for a wimpy Sequoia or Hummer when International makes a truck called the CXT that makes all those look like Tonka toys?So if you've got the money and don't give a rat's rectum about gas prices or the environment,the CXT is the only choice!

Here is a link that might be useful: International CXT

o

Hello again Sharon.

I'm afraid this is gonna come across a bit harsh, and I'm really trying to help you with the vehicle thing. Over the last year we have seen you be upside down (owning more than a GM was worth) that you were not happy with, and even though we all advised you to "bite the bullet" on that one you went out and bought the Mitsu. It would have been nice if you had been happy with that, but clearly that has not been the case either. FWIW I have little doubt there are at least a couple of techs that can't wait for you to get rid of it, and at the same time, maybe even wish you had never bought it (VBG). Which brings us to the Toyota, and here is where this is really going to be a little rough. "What makes you think your going to be happy with a Toyota now?" Or to put it another way, what are you going to do when it doesn't live up to perfection either? Now I'm not saying that there haven't been problems with any of the other cars you have had in the last five or ten years. I will say that there had to be some of them that would have served you well to today and beyond, if you had an accurate perception of what to expect from them. This also does not mean you should have to just live with a car that has a problem. What I'm saying is anyone that tries can litterally pick apart any car, even one that would be considered to be perfect by the majority of people.

If you do choose to buy a Toyota, I hope you do get a "perfect one" and truly get to enjoy it for that reason. But I'm afraid it will just end up another entry on the list of bad cars you have owned.

o

LOL Sharon! With gas prices the way they are, and oil execs screwing us every chance they get ... your timing is a bit off for wanting to buy a large SUV. But kudos to you for having the cajones to post this question.

Have you looked at the Toyota Highlander Hybrid? It's a larger SUV with decent gas mileage. But I'm not sure if it meets your requirements for a "large" SUV. Good luck.

But hey, if money is no problem ...that CXT looks real good! LOL!

o

If I were going to get a large SUV, I'd get a Chevy Tahoe. Check out the gas mileage of that truck compared to the competition, and also compare the space you get, price you pay for the features you get, and incentives currently available.

Plus, if you can wait until January (I think) the 2007 Tahoe is going to be out. It's a new design, looks great, and you can get the 5.3 liter Displacement on Demand engine in it, which in some tests I read is getting well over 20 miles per gallon on the highway.

Large SUV doesn't have to mean gas guzzler anymore.

o

With the price of gasoline being so high right now, I can imagine there are many huge SUVs with low mileage, that are going begging for a new owner.

lol Re that new International Super-Super Duty "pick-up"... lol. And I hope the states the foresight to require a CDL for any future owner...

And, I believe you can buy one that is "perfect", except for high gas consumption.
The money you can save(by buying used) should buy gas for the next year..

o

hey, if you decide to go used, my 97 suburban is going up for sale. it has 5.7L engine and oh, about 250K miles... mileage is around 20, sometimes over 24. I loved mine, but the 125.00 gas fillups hurt the wallet. of course I can travel over 1200 miles on a tank. the 97 through 99 have the Vortech engine, 2000 and up have the ls1 5.3 in them. I suppose the 5.3 has decent mileage and good power, but my father's 03 was wimpy compared to mine and his was less than 10K miles on it! the vortech engines with good maintenance will outlast the carpeting. my fathers suburban was 4x4 so that can eat a bit of power, but I still like the original 5.7 vortech best of the engines out there.
oh, just kidding about selling my suburban. get your own!
my local gas prices are down around 2.15 now by the way!!!
John

o

What no grand speach about how dumb she is for wanting an SUV???Wow What happened..Go For it I Got an Escalade great vehicles,just came back from Vegas saw the amount of fuel all the cabs and limos at ALLLLL the motels use ,just in one day.I dont mind having my SUV AT ALL........

o

The "grand speaches" were made elsewhere. Sharon is looking for a very specific vehicle and is willing to spend a great deal of money to get it. There's no more reason to dissuade her from that.

o

To all of you who gave me an appropriate answer, thank you very much. To those who are just plain sarcastic, please keep it to your self next time.
Thank you!
Sharon

o

Sharon,
I had a Sequoia for about 4 years and I absolutely loved it, loved the size, but it handles just like a car, turning radius was great. The only reason I gave it up was the gas mileage. I started having to drive my son to and from school every day, 50 miles each way, 200 miles a day adds up at the gas pumps! I got a Lexus hybrid, very happy with it but I do miss the size of the Sequoia.

o

The International CXT is the way to go. You own the road with that thing. You are money in that thing.
Reliability, fuel economy, easy of parking; these are the things plebeians are concerned about.

o

Tell ya what, "relationshipsell"-- when I see your rusty ol' CXT on the side of the road, out of gas, I'll wave as I drive by in my Plebeianmobile! :-)

o

So typical, liberals trying to make someone feel guilty for owning an SUV. Don't feel guilty if you want your family to be safe and comfortable. I like the Denali personally. All wheel drive is the safest bet for wet roads.

o

Know what? I don't need my car (truck) to substitute for my manhood. I don't need my vehicle to look tough and intimidating. If you need that and you can pay the freight for it, fine. But don't kid yourself that you're not the object of ridicule by more than just "liberals" (whoever they are) and don't kid yourself that you're safer, because you're not. But I know you don't care about any of that, beaglebuddy, because it's all about you. Ciao.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kids are no safer in SUVs than they are in cars

o

One important thing these saftey stats fail to take into consideration is the weight of the vehicle, in these studies they crash a vehicle into a solid wall that will not give, in the real world you are most likely to crash into another vehicle and in this case the heavier vehicle will most certainly come out ahead. Consider that cruising around in your hybrid as you count your pennies.

o

I say this business of driving around in an overweight, oversized vehicle is being anti-social. Not that this matters, and I must admit to being a bit envious of those with wealth - but - hey - thats life..

Really hard to say who is the safer, the stats are not that accurate, even tending to be silly !

o

Steveo's link has to do w/ rollovers which may have some merit, but probably is specific to certain models. Ford is now implementing the computer controlled thing that helps keep a vehicle under control like on a toyota, this helps prevent rollovers I believe. It's simple science re; a heavy object hitting a lighter one. I consider it life insurance.

o

Well I don't know if people in SUV's are safer in accidents. But I think it's a safe bet to say that those in passenger vehicles are less safe when hit by an SUV or Truck. (It's physics, right?) Should anyone be made to feel guilty for protecting their families at the expense of other families? Is it wrong for a liberal to complain that a conservative is compelling him to buy a bigger vehicle to compete? What about when conservatives tell other people how to live, are they being like liberals then? What does liberal and conservative have to do with vehicle choice? What do conservatives want to conserve? What do liberals want to liberate?

o

Love your arguments/questions, Jeremy.
The bumpers of all vehicles must have a standard height..
This may have existed at one time, but the legislators have been asleep at the switch. This may mean an end to monster vehicles..
Too bad - the roads belong to all the people, NOT just some..
The MPG of all vehicles must in most cases be higher than it is now.
That means Diesels and more practically sized vehicles.
The wealthy and or "those living in the past" should pay a luxury tax with their "gas hogs".
There is much more than just crashing in safety(which is severely overplayed anyway)..
How about economy of operation ??
Better, far better, driver training??
Drivers paying attention and obeying the rules of the road ??

o

Ford is discontinuing the Excursion so may be some good buys in comparison. Sequoia is nice, friend has one.

o

Used Suburban----big---third seat, good cargo space.
Vortec--good engine.
Milage is not that bad if you're really using it to haul a lot of people/things.

You can get them pretty cheap these days.
I sell at a small lot---we just sold a 1500, '99/125K on it, for $5,900.
They are hard to beat, if you really need the size.

o

earthworm, and I quote "the wealthy and are "those living in the past" should pay a luxury tax with their "gas hogs."
Well, I'm neither wealthy or living in the past, but I think it's highly biased and or unfair to say that just because I choose to save my money by driving older cars (1977 T-Bird and 1989 Grand Marquis)that I should pay a luxury tax? Neither one of my cars gets under 18 mpg, and they're both paid for! Does anyone else on this forum think a luxury tax on a 20 or 30 year old car is fair?
I think a luxury tax is exactly that. A tax on a luxury item. My antique vehicles hardly fall in that category. I can hardly afford to buy new, so since when is it fair to tax me on the bias that I'm living the life of luxury? Did I misunderstand you?

o

Westranch, I apologize, I was being too emotional.
But when the vehicle is new, and it does consume copious amounts of fuel, the original owner should pay a tax, and many do- for instance there is, that I know of, quite a tax on a Rolls-Royce or a Ferrari.
A one time tax - of course.

And there should be a smaller tax on the huge SUVs, one based on their MPG and the cost to the consumer.

None or this would be necessary if, say the Buddhists or the Hindus or we controlled the oil wells , IMO..

o

earthworm, apology accepted. I was being a little emotional myself. I agree that new, expensive, energy consuming vehicles should be taxed.
I consider this forum constructive therapy. :)

o

a big expensive suv, means the owner can handle the big expensive lawsuit, their going to get hit with, when they run into me. ohh iam in pain, my back! i cant work ever again, i need your home, your retirment plan, and your 1st born. so go ahead ride my bumper.

o

This is what insurance is for.

o

Insurance was supposed to be for "human error" , not for those being so stupid as to commit a crime against their fellow man..
Tailgating, for instance, or bullying-if you will, should be highly punishable.
BTW, the reason we have so many SUVs is that the people are rebelling against an overly protective and overly dictatorial government.
Soon after 27.5 MPG, the people and car-makers saw the gaping hole- that so-called trucks were not affected.
Can you imagine that the Chrysler PT Cruiser is considered by our government to be a "truck " ???

o

you better have a load of insurance, if you hit me in my subcompact, with your suv, iam going after everything you have or ever will have.

o

There is a limit to the amount of damages to be paid out for a vehicle accident under typical circumstances, so stop being silly. You are not going to be suing anyone for all they have. And if I do happen to crush your little econobox with my 10,300 lbs work truck you probably won't be in any condition to sue anyone.

o

Do pedestrians still have the right of way, while crossing an intersection, between the lines? Just curious, because in the wealthy community of Mountain Brook, Alabama (AKA "The Tiny Kingdom") driver's must feel like their pocketbook, big SUV, Mercedes, BMW, etc. must make them immune from that law. Just once, I'd like to cross the street without feeling like I'm gonna be rolled over and left for dead.

o

4 trs ago my neighbors kid got hit in his honda civic, a ford worker in his big suv, in a big hurry. i dont know about the insurance limits, but the guy lost his house in the lawsuit along with his savings. he was insured. so it can be done. iam sure 1/2 or more went to the lawyers. but what the heck i got plenty of time on my hands.

o

I am sorry for causing a stir between everyone. Everyone is entitled to his/hers opinion. As well as your own prefrence.
I paid off my debt with my last few cars and leased a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. I love it.
Don't get me wrong... I would still go back to a large SUV. I just like being higher up anymore. Just as much damage could be done with a small car as an large SUV. It just depends on the driver.

o

You tel em Sharon!
I for one think that proper driving and good following distances combined with better visibility combine to eliminate or greatly reduce accidents!
John

o

Posted by: bill_h (My Page) on Sat, Mar 4, 06 at 4:31

you better have a load of insurance, if you hit me in my subcompact, with your suv, iam going after everything you have or ever will have.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------

Posted by: beaglebuddy (My Page) on Sat, Mar 4, 06 at 14:19

There is a limit to the amount of damages to be paid out for a vehicle accident under typical circumstances, so stop being silly. You are not going to be suing anyone for all they have. And if I do happen to crush your little econobox with my 10,300 lbs work truck you probably won't be in any condition to sue anyone.

He might if he sues for where the insurance leaves off.Its called sue the insurance company and then the insures estate.Of course you would not get the retirement fund if that money is tied up in a 401K type plan.I done checked into that.But I drive an econbox so I dought I would be the one being sued.Sure if I get hit buy a ego truck I will not be around to sue.But my widow and family will be so that means they will get more if im dead rather then injured anyway.

o

In a normal accident no one is going to award you a huge sum of money just because you were hit by an SUV, not unless you can prove it was done maliciously or on purpose w/ the intent to kill or maim. This discussion is silly. Besides I have a 2 million dollar umbrella policy so I could probably run your little car down and not suffer financially for it except maybe higher premiums.

o

Does the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes" sound familiar to anyone? Oh, and I have Direct TV. I can watch "Meet the Fokkers" anytime I want.

o

Blahh Blahhh Blahhhh!My econobox might take more damage if its hit by a SUV.But it seems to keep the wheels down and does not go belly up on a icy road.I see SUV's every winter the same thing belly up in a ditch.Tahoes and Yukons and Explores for some odd reason.Icy roads and SUV's seems to mean belly up!!!!!!!But the econobox cars just simply slide in the ditch.Tow truck pulls them out and away they go not a scratch.But when a Tahoe goes in the ditch they roll atleast once.I have seen dozens of cases of this.Not on TV not in a magazine.But while driving.Totalled SUV's or I bet the owner wished it was totalled its so bad.

They look so helpless laying there Bellyup.Sort of like a beached whale.

I do not worry about getting hit buy a SUV.Seems there are less of them on the road latley.Gas prices are going up again.The gas station attendents have sour arms from raising the price sighns and a kink in there neck from constantly looking up.But they just love the SUV drivers.There money in there pocket.The recently named a truck stop after them Loves.Regular Unleaded $2.49.9 ''How Highs the gas prices Mama to danged high and risin.''Its not even travel season yet.Can you spell $3.00 per gallon $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

o

thats what he did j.d. he sued after the insurence limits,thats how he was awarded the house and savings. he also sued a 2nd time for ongoing medical problems thats pending, and he said his laywer is talking about suing ford motor company, due to bumper heights. although this guy hasnt been bankrupted his life has been turned upside down. iam not big into lawsuits, but if i get hit, and am injured and sitting around with time on my hands, i might as well sue for everything i can get.

o

Doesn't mean you will win. If the guy who hits you has more money than you he can probably out lawyer you and drag it out so that you cannot afford your lawyer bills.

o

Does not work like that.The lawyers are looking for these type cases.If the guy has money they sworm around like vultures.Money is no problem they just take it from the amount you Win.You can also interview lawyers and pick the best most award winning slickest lawyer around.They will come to you while your laying in the hospital.If your killed they will show up at the funeral dinner and sit with the family and exchange business cards.They just take a percentage of the suit.They get a few hundred thousand and there client gets a few million.Just have to make sure you do not get clobbered by a poor SUV owner.If its old and rusty look out.But if its newer they either have money or can get it.

o

In a simple accident w/o malicious intent you will not be awarded huge sums, does not work that way.

o

If someone is hurt bad or killed it is not a simple accident.Were not talking a fender bender.Were talking a small vehical getting clobbered by a SUV.Anytime there are two vehicals in a wreck someone is at blame.Someone will recieve a ticket.If that SUV driver was the cause and someone is hurt or killed.You pay.If the econo box pulls out in front of the SUV then you do not.Lawyers and money thinking people do not care if it was a accident.It was your fault and that all they need.If it was on purpose you go to jail.If it was not you walk thats the only differance.

o

Could an attorney please step in and explain this to johndeere ?

o

Well I ended up getting a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. (I may be repeating myself) I will lease it for 24 months and then I think I may get a bigger SUV. My son is going away to college and I would love something that could carry everything. I am all for safety and fuel economy, but I only go 2 miles to work everyday. Still I want something that could hold our family and our baggage when traveling.
Right now the Cherokee is just fine.
As for the crash rating... for goodness sake! We are not driving 18 wheelers!!

o

Posted by: beaglebuddy (My Page) on Mon, Mar 13, 06 at 21:59

Could an attorney please step in and explain this to johndeere ?

If the person hit is injurded and is in the Hospital for a long period of time and has surgery and then needs Thearapy.Has to take medication for the rest of his life.Then his pain and suffering and lost wages and can not pay his bills.Who do you think pays?Just because your insurance pays $10.000 per victim medical and you have say a $600.000 Liabilty.Does not mean your off the hook.Just because that is all they will pay.Because chances are that will not cover it.

If the victim dies.Your not going to get off cheaper.Because a funeral is cheaper then if they lived and had huge medical bills.Say the victim is 40 years old and made $50.000 per year.The family would recieve a minimum of $50.000 x until his kids are grown.Not counting pain and suffering.

Insurance Co.Cover there rearend and will only pay so much.You pay the remainder and that very well could be the larger portion.

Could a Dr. please step in and explain this to beaglbuddy?

o

I pretty much agree with JohnDeere, some particulars vary from state to state.
Nor do I think anything need be explained to anyone - we are just talking generalities as it is......

Sharon, would you consider a Chevy or Ford cross-over vehicle rather than the huge SUV ? Of course they really do not make them yet, but I think our auto-makers should.
A rationally sized vehicle, much like the Ford 500 as an example..
Or maybe a Ford Explorer..
The Jeeps seem to be too heavy, and use too much gas....

o

I really do love my jeep. I leased it for 2 years so I do have time to decide what to get next. I love the Volvo XC 70 wagon and the XC 90. The problem is their size. Who knows? Maybe by that time I will be ready to go down. I do love the 4 wheel drive factor.
I am liking the durango too.
See? I am all over the place! ha ha
I still have lots of time to decide.
Thank you
Sharon

o

The guy that hit the econobox was obviously underinsured. Many people get the minimum coverage and when a claim comes in the company "surrenders" the policy and washes their hands. My wife was a claims supervisor in a major insurance company and she read this thread and that's what she said her company did. If the policy has small coverages and the claim is over those coverages then the policy holder can indeed be liable. But it would have been handled the EXACT same way if the small car ran the suv off the road and the SUV driver was killed. If the one responsible doesn't have enough insurance, well tough.
Just before she quit she had a claim where a kid with a beater had $50,000 in liability coverage and ran into and totaled an $85,000 Mercy B. Guess what? The kid was liable for everything over $50,000. Yeah, the Mercy B owner had "underinsured" coverage, but the insurance company went after the kid in order to get their money back.

o

They will get a judgement but it will be impossible to collect.

o

a judgement is good, it may be impossible to collect, but it will make life very hard for the person with the judgement against them. for me even if i couldnt get rich, i would get alot of satisfaction, if could continue to mess with the person who hit me. like that nagging masquito in the bedroom in the night. just buying and driving a large suv or truck,without any use for it, buisness, trailer pulling, etc. and iam talking big like the hummer, or those super pickups, not s-10 size. is a negligent act.also selling these monsters is negligent. i submit that selling,owning,or driving, these w.m.d.s is a negligent act. what do you think? does it stand a chance, maybe, show the pictures of a mangled family, their smashed hybrid, have the trial in calif. might fly hhhhhmmmmm

o

Why not just require a minimum of say 2 mil. liability insur. and double the license fees and sales tax, on large suv and pickup type vehicles. do this for anyone who thinks they need this type of vehicle, except for farmers and trades people who can show a need for one. Although i see no reason for anybody to own a hummer, or the ihc cxt, etc these vehicles serve no purpose.

o

Hello Everyone!
Just to let you know that I have gotten out of my head getting a large SUV. I do not have the need for one and driving such a large SUV would not benefit my medical condition right now. (I am having back problems) I just leased a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee for 2 yrs. I am thinking next time of getting the Volvo XC70 wagon.
Any opinions? I have 2 yrs to decide.
Thank you for all your help!
Sharon

o

I think there will be a lot of large SUV shoppers getting the idea out of there heads?With the price of gas and where it will be in a few months.Probably a good time to buy one however.For penneys on the dollar.

Concerens of being hit by one are dropping however.Less on the road because the cost to fill one up these days.

o

John,
Gas prices are huge right now. I think alot of people that are in search of a car are going to factor that in. I DO love my cherokee but the V8 Hemi engine and my back problems right now pretty much decide for me that I should think about getting a smaller car in the future.
Sharon

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here