Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anybody trying the acetone thing?

Posted by plaidthumb (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 9, 05 at 23:17

This seems to be a popular topic these days, but everything I've found originates from one web site, or is attributed back to that site. Does anyone know of any independent corroboration of this deal? 3 oz. of acetone to 10 gal. gas = 3 to 4 MPG increase?

Sounds too simple/too good to be true, but I haven't found the "gotcha" in it yet...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anybody trying the acetone thing?

http://peswiki.com/index.php/Directory:Acetone_as_a_Fuel_Additive

Non-scientific testing - some increases,some decreases.
IMO, too risky, however tempting..
To save fuel, drive a more practical vehicle with a Diesel engine.

o

My co-worker tried it in his VW GTI. We're both chemists in the petroleum industry and didn't see how it would work, but one web site seemed to have a lot of good information and data.

Bottom line is we concluded you can't separate the human effect. When he added acetone, he found himself driving a little more carefully. He did see a slight improvement, but again he felt he was probably driving easier. If it does help, it's very, very slight. Not worth the cost of the acetone and effort.

Ken

o

I wouldn't take a chance on acetone in the fuel tank until I knew a lot more about its effects on the various elastomer and plastic parts in the fuel system. Acetone is a very active solvent (think of m'lady's nail polish.) If it produced a benefit, it likely cleaned the injectors (provided these needed cleaning). If the injectors were already clean, there'd be no change, but there may be potential damage to parts in the fuel system.

o

I heard of a guy that was trying it on a fleet of vehicles, and saw no consistant change to mileage pro or con.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here