Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Volvo XC 90--fix or buy new?

Posted by pschuster (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 16, 10 at 23:11

Hi everyone,
I have a 2005 Volvo XC90 V-8 SUV with 115,000 miles. I have recently replaced front & rear brakes & tires. Now it needs a new rear differential system for $4,600 + a new wheel bearing at $500=$5,000 worth of work.

I drive 4,000 miles a month with 3 young children.

Priced new 2010 XC90s and can have one for $33,000 with trade in of mine. (Fabulous time to buy, as each local dealer has only one 2010 left and is dying to give it away). Can afford it if we have to, but want to be smart.

Was thinking that the $5,000 repair might get me from 115,000 to 200,000 or higher, but husband prefers peace of mind that comes from new car and notes that next break-down might not be at end-of-model-year time with cars on sale.

What would you do?
Thanks!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Volvo XC 90--fix or buy new?

I'd make a decision. The 2010 comes with a warranty doesn't it ?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here