Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Opinions on possible car problems? Please?

Posted by thirdevil (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 27, 07 at 22:39

Okay so I have had my car for over five years now, it is a '99 Mitsubishi Eclipse and a little over a year ago I got the timing belt replaced. Right after I got it replaced, I started noticing problems with the car when it is stopped, basically really bad idling. I've heard this may be due to a badly timed belt, but my car also had a blown head gasket (not at ALL uncommon in Mitsubishi Eclipses, unfortunately) causing a pretty bad oil leak (roughly a quart of oil every two weeks) which i got fixed, only to discover a few months later that it is, in fact, leaking again. I am doubtful that the headgasket/oil leak would have anything to do with the bad idling, mainly because it has been leaking oil for a while now and this problem only surfaced after the timing belt was changed. I have noticed that the car does not idle poorly when the air conditioning is on.

I have heard that the idling may be due to bad tires, but I have had my tires replaced within the timespan of my problem and with no difference. Any help or advice would be very greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Opinions on possible car problems? Please?

If you car exhibited idle problems immediately after the timing belt was changed, did you take it back to the service shop and ask them to look at it? Was it running ok before the belt change? The shop will need to know.

Possibilites:
o A vaccum line got disconnected.
o Timing belt cogs mis-timed.
o The idle speed (controlled by the engine computer) needs resetting.

If the car ran ok immediately after the timing belt was installed, but the current problem developed some time later, then you have a new problem.

o

I would rule out bad tires.Whats that got to do with it?

o

Maybe they dumped some automatic spin balancing ball bearings inside those new tires. They keep on spinning when you stop.

o

Look in your owners manual for "battery replacement".
When my 03 Galant's battery was replaced, they did not reset idle. The car would die at every stop. In the owners man. it said to get eng. up to temp. then idle for 5 mins. That did the trick, and has run great since.
Your shop probably disc. the battery when timing belt was replaced. At least it's a cheap try!
Good luck with it.

o

Look in your owners manual for "battery replacement".
When my 03 Galant's battery was replaced, they did not reset idle. The car would die at every stop. In the owners man. it said to get eng. up to temp. then idle for 5 mins. That did the trick, and has run great since.
Your shop probably disc. the battery when timing belt was replaced. At least it's a cheap try!
Good luck with it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here