SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thirdevil

Opinions on possible car problems? Please?

thirdevil
16 years ago

Okay so I have had my car for over five years now, it is a '99 Mitsubishi Eclipse and a little over a year ago I got the timing belt replaced. Right after I got it replaced, I started noticing problems with the car when it is stopped, basically really bad idling. I've heard this may be due to a badly timed belt, but my car also had a blown head gasket (not at ALL uncommon in Mitsubishi Eclipses, unfortunately) causing a pretty bad oil leak (roughly a quart of oil every two weeks) which i got fixed, only to discover a few months later that it is, in fact, leaking again. I am doubtful that the headgasket/oil leak would have anything to do with the bad idling, mainly because it has been leaking oil for a while now and this problem only surfaced after the timing belt was changed. I have noticed that the car does not idle poorly when the air conditioning is on.

I have heard that the idling may be due to bad tires, but I have had my tires replaced within the timespan of my problem and with no difference. Any help or advice would be very greatly appreciated.

Comments (5)

Sponsored