SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gary__

NAPA let me down

gary__
16 years ago

Had to order a rebuilt master cylinder for my car last week. Fluid pouring out the back was the original problem.

Install the replacement on Saturday expecting it to take less than an hour. It did, except I couldn't seem to get the air out of it. Bled and bled and bled it, always little bubbles. Gave up and took the car for a drive. Felt normal. Head down town to take the core back. Get a couple miles from home and the read light comes on and front brakes slowly lock. Limp to a parking lot and start to walk home. Frosty out, no coat, slippers for shoes. &%^$#@!! Make it home, grab some tools and have wife take me back to the car. Open a brake line to release the pressure. Brake light goes out, all feels normal. Limp back home using the emergency brake to stop till I get close to the house. Step on the brake, feels fine, keep driving, front brakes lock again. Five hours of bleeding checking and test driving to no avail. Tell the parts guy I think that master cylinder he sold me is a piece of junk...I'm angry, he's scared. Say's another one won't come in till Tuesday. !@#$%!!! I'm angrier, he's looking for an escape route. Nobody else can get one faster. Put the old leaker back on to make sure the problem wasn't me. Bled the air out of the old one bubble free in 10 pumps or so. Drove it around all day with no brake issues. Hope the next rebuild works.

I've usually gone with NAPA because I used to think the quality was a notch above the rest. The pricing usually is. With this master cylinder problem plus about 3 B/O rebuilt starters in the last few years, I'm beginning to wonder if they're no better than AutoZone. Could be the same bunch of drunks on an assembly line somewhere rebuilding parts for all of them for all I know. GRRRRR!

Ok, I'm done ranting. I'll thank the parts guy for getting me another one assuming it works ok so he won't hide from me every time I walk in the door.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths