Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gear shift knob removal

Posted by Timbulb (dojadoja@hotmail.com) on
Sun, Nov 27, 05 at 20:41

I can't for the life of me figure out how to remove the gear shift knob on my '02 Mazda truck (Ford Ranger).

Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gear shift knob removal

http://members.aol.com/MREPRODUCT/ranger/message.htm

This may help, I googled..

o

No that didn't help.

o

The gear shifter (Manual transmission) is held in place by a special bolt with a wedge designed in the middle and threads at both ends. You simply lift the rubber boot from the floor exposing the top of the transmission where the shifter stub enters the cab, and you will see the bolt going through with the nut on the passengers side of the shift lever.

Take the nut off, and put it on the other side and tighten it and it will pull the wedge out of engagement and release the shift lever.

Now if your talking about the knob at the top of the shifter, be advised you will ruin it by pulling it off.
They are a very tight fit, and once you manage to get it off of the shifter it will never again fit properlly and the only way you wont be dealing with it coming loose in your hand will be to replace it. It's easiest to remove a good knob by first removing the shift lever from the truck as described above.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here