Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Steering rack

Posted by kalining (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 16, 07 at 18:27

John G. This is for you and all the rest of the best. I think i have it already figuered out but need another opinion. Actually a short cut. 1996 Taurus 3 lt. 4 door G.L. Steering rack. Some nut case put A.T.F. in the pump.
Steering is about 50% assist cold. Run the car 1/2 hour or
4 hours no difference. Restart the car 1/2 hour or 10 minuets later. You now have full assist. 1 or 2 turns of the wheel, siezed, back to 50% assist. Here is the best part. car sat for 3 months. Drove it with 100% full assist.
A.T.F. in the pump. Siezed only on extreem right hand turns
only when it felt like it. Pump completely flushed with
proper power steering fluid. Full assist only when the
car is run and shut off for the first 2 turns. I'm sure the
rack is toast but is there anything you know of to prolong
the change ? Maybe an oil additive ? I don't want to change this rack. You have to drop the sub frame. Nothing as simple as a 1980 Olds Omaga. I can do those in my sleep.
Oh yah. Some ass hole put teflon tape on the pressure fitting on the pump discharge. Found tape all over the fitting and it was shredded and could be in the piping on the way to the rack. Removed the P.S. filter and it was plugged pretty bad. Any ideas ? anyone ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Steering rack

HI Kalining

That car should have the VAPS, "Variable Assistance Power Steering" system on it. You are describing a classic failure of the actuator. Look at the high pressure line where it attaches to the steering rack. You will see a solenoid in line. That's it. Just be sure it has correct power and ground available to it before throwing the part.

o
RE: Steering rack

Hi John. That solenoid is there all right. Probably original. Lots of rust. I'll get at it this afternoon and get back to you. Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here