Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Honda Accord 2014 or 2013 navigation

Posted by maryann0625 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 18:00

I'm looking at a 2014 Accord and wondering whether to get the built-in navigation. I've heard that the 2013 navigation had all kinds of problems. Any words of advice about the 2014 navi? Did they make changes to the navi between 2013 and 2014? Is it true that if the navi goes down, everything that works through that screen goes down too? (e.g., radio, blue-tooth, rear and side camera) Does anyone have 2013 or 2014 Accord navigation and feel satisfied with it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Honda Accord 2014 or 2013 navigation

There were some issues with some early-production 2013 Accord navigation systems. But most 2013s function normally.

All Accords have an 8" screen that Honda calls the i-MID (intelligent Multi-Information Display) mounted in the center of the dash. It is the display for the Rearview Camera, trip computer, Bluetooth hands-free phone setup and settings, displays incoming text messages and several other minor features. On models with Navigation, it is also the NAV display screen and interface.

There is a separate, smaller touch screen directly below the i-MID that handles all audio system funcitons. The A/C system is operated using actual buttons that are located below the audio control display.

While the Accord's Navigation is perfectly functional, reliable and intuitive to use, I have one major issue with it- the price! Navigation costs $2000 on the 2013 and $1775 on the 2014. In comparable GM, Ford, Nissan, Mazda and Toyota sedans, adding Navigation only costs $560 to $795. Honda's NAV is ridiculously overpriced, costing up to 3x what it does in other mid-size sedans! Personally, that irks me. (Note- if you haven't considered the 2014 Mazda6, you owe it to yourself to do so before you make a final purchase decision!)

The other issue I have with the Accord is the Honda Lane Watch feature. A tiny camera is mounted on the passenger side mirror and, when you activate your right turn signal, the i-MID screen shows a 4x larger area of the lane/area to your right. While it’s better than just having the mirror alone, it isn’t nearly as useful as the Blind Spot Monitor available on many other mid-size sedans.

I have a 2012 Mazda CX-9 SUV and it has a Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) system. Most BSMs use sensors mounted in/under each corner of the rear bumper. When a vehicle is detected within the ‘blind spot’ range being monitored, a yellow warning symbol appears on the outside mirror on that side of the car. If you signal a lane change while a car is detected in the blind spot, a warning alarm sounds and a red warning light flashes in the instrument panel.

The benefit of a BSM is that it lets you know if a vehicle is in the blind spot on either side at all times, so you’re aware of your surroundings. If you still signal a lane change, it alerts you with both audible and visual alarms.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2014 Mazda6

o

On the 2014 Accord version have no problem again with the Navi System because Honda has update

o

Have not had any issues with nav on 2013, and have installed the 2014 update, which was really different from updated my 2008 nav system.. However, just spent most of October with check engine light issues, and Front Collision and Lane Departure warning going off at random. One week had O2 sensor replaced, next week 2nd O2 sensor and front camera replaced. Third week they kept all week and replaced the computer. Never had this many problems with any previous 4 Accords! It has behaved since Oct. 31 when I got it back

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here