SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mister_h

C6 Vette vs. SLK350

mister_h
18 years ago

Which one to get?

It would be my wife's next car (but I would be driving as much - hope she's not reading this).

My wife and I both can't decide for sure. Both are at about the same MSRP (high 40's). I like the C6's bigger engine and higher hp, but the SLK's new styling looks just too damn cool and has that neat retractable hardtop (not fabric). If you have any preference on either one, please share your thoughts.

Thanks.

Comments (14)

• earthworm
    18 years ago

Cadillac should and maybe will, in the future, have a feature to feature competitor against the Mercedes SLK. And after the GM monster is pointed the correct direction, we will have a world beater..
    Probably the Corvette is better(performance); but the Mercedes is more sophisticated..
    This should be interesting...

• bill_h
    18 years ago

split the diff. go with the cadilac xlr. a little bit of both.

• mikie_gw
    18 years ago

I'd think thrifty & do my homework. Determine which one will cost least over two or three yrs in insurance and maintenance and which will have the better resale/trade value.

Or just buy her a real nice vw bug because of the insurance and gas prices.

• earthworm
    18 years ago

Chevrolets and VWs are supposed to be for those on a budget; Cadillac and Mercedes for the "filthy rich".

It is about time GM has seen the luxury market potential for the Corvette - it is quite a vehicle,IMO..
    They could dig up better names for these new Cadillac "alphabet soup" models however...

Go with the Mercedes, that is, if they are as good as they were in years past..

• mister_h
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for your input gents.
    Another problem we have is that we are not filthy rich but we've been thinking about buying one of these luxury/sporty vehicles for a quite some time. My wife and I are about to retire pretty soon (afer working 60+ hrs/week for many years) and this new car would be a gift for her.
    Back to the cars...
    It seems that my wife is leaning toward the MB, just simply because it is a MB. She doesn't know much about technical details of these cars. She just likes that MB logo on the front hood and the back. I just think the C6 is a bargain sports car for its MSRP in its class. Also, the SLK is too much looking like a chick car in my taste. Oh well, I guess I will trade in the MB a few years later and get an used C6 or a new C7 whenever that may be.

• gary__
    18 years ago

imo the vette is always the best bang for the buck. MB is always going to be finished out nicer. Buying a MB, a lot of what you're paying is for the name. If the C-6 was made by mercedes, bet they'd want $80k+ for it.

As always, drive them all. See what suits you/her best. That's all that matters.

• mikie_gw
    18 years ago

I like to ride in Mercedes...
    Cool - Nice stiff ride, is this the the budget version or did you just skimp on the interior options.

• carguy69
    18 years ago

From Earthworm----
    "It is about time GM has seen the luxury market potential for the Corvette - "

Uhhh, The Corvette IS NOT a Luxury Car,it's a (Read) Sports Car.
    You are obviously thinking of some other car.

• gary__
    18 years ago

**Uhhh, The Corvette IS NOT a Luxury Car,it's a (Read) Sports Car.
    You are obviously thinking of some other car. **

The owners manual of my '87 vette describes it as a "luxury sports car". earthworms comment is in line with the manufacturers intended market for the car.

• earthworm
    18 years ago

From Earthworm----
    "It is about time GM has seen the luxury market potential for the Corvette - "

The key word here is potential. I believe the Cadillac $77K-mobile is based on the Corvette.
    Dubbed as the xlr ..I wonder how many sleepless nights were spent dreaming up this "name"...

And this is probably one great motor vehicle, a well qualified competitor to the SLK Mercedes..

• carguy69
    18 years ago

Gary> I wasn't trying to step on your toes..lol.. It's just that I have never thought of a Vette as a Luxery car. I do own 2 , a C-6 and a fully restored 65 427. Again, sorry for sounding rude & to Mr. H...Get the vette, you'll love it :>)

• norcalbl
    18 years ago

What the heck. Blow the budget and get her something from Mercedes that ends with AMG. You will get a thrill driving it, and she will get the cute hood ornament. German engineering, (although Chrysler now owns them) and a car that will blow the doors off the vette.

• gary__
    18 years ago

That's backwards. Mercedes owns Chrysler.

• norcalbl
    18 years ago

I knew one of them bought the other...thanks for the correction. Do you think one day in the future someone will walk up to a Mercedes and say "that thang got a hemi"?

Sponsored