SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Mechanic doesn't hear the problem......

catherinet
18 years ago

HI all,

I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey mini van. I take it in about every 3,500 miles for servicing, which is usually 3 months. About 4 months ago, it started sounding like it would idle inconsistently....fast, slower, fast, slower. Sometimes I would see the tachometer moving back and forth with it. At my service 3 months ago, I told them, and they said they found nothing. I took it in for another service yesterday and told them it was worse. But the darned dealer's service department was so loud, nobody could hear it. He said they just couldn't find anything wrong......which meant nobody could hear it.

He said the "check engine" light will come on, if it gets too bad. I like to fix things before they break down at a very inopportune time.....especially since I live out in the country.

This is a very respectable dealership, and I have been totally impressed with the treatment I've gotten there in the last 5 years. But I'm concerned about this sound of the inconsistent idling. What do you think it is? Is it possible that I'm just too perceptive to small changes that the service people aren't hearing yet?

I'm going to trust what they say......but I sure hope this doesn't inconvenience me big time in the future, when it gets bad enough for them to finally pick up on.

And couldn't they have hooked it up to some computer??

Also....my gas mileage has decreased by about 2-4 mpg. I think this is significant. But what confuses the issue is that my 16 year old son drives the car sometimes. I'm pretty sure he doesn't speed (famous last words!!). Perhaps he's gunning it too much on take-off.....which could decrease the fuel mileage, right? Also.....would the problem I'm describing cause a decrease in fuel mileage? Thanks for your input!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH