SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Question about gas pump not reading Zero

catherinet
18 years ago

HI all,

I've noticed that at this one gas station in town, the pump never reads zero to start with. I think this morning it started at .08. This seems to only happen at this one gas station. I know 8 cents isn't much (on top of $50), but it bothered me. So I went in and asked the manager why it happens at his station. There was a "gasoline guy" there (he was from a gasoline company who was working with the manager to change over from Citco to Marathon).....anyhow.....he said this is real common. It just means that (especially in cold weather), the pump tubing from the pump to the nozle has to fill up first....and that's why it doesn't start at 0.

Why don't I see this at other stations? I have a paranoid nature, coupled with wanting things to make sense. Doesn't this sound weird? And shouldn't a pump always read 0, before you start pumping?? Isn't that like a scale not being at zero before you weigh something?

The manager was very obliging, and offered to give me the 8 cents, but I said no. It seemed silly.

Just curious if you've run into this too. Thanks.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21