Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
AitFilter Change = Increased Consumption?

Posted by andyf (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 27, 06 at 13:51

Has anyone heard of mfg defects in air filters. What I mean is increased air resistance.?

As soon has I changed my Toyota air filter on my Echo w/40000Km with a Fram, I got an increase in consumption. THought about it for a long time,and that's the only thing I did. Checked to see if I pulled out vacuum tube or something, and everything's OK.

Car is just has responsive and zippy as ever, power is instantaneous and no loss, starts quick has ever.

Can't figure it.

AndyF

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: AitFilter Change = Increased Consumption?

I have had one case of air filter problem. It was on a smaller Honda motorcycle. After the air filter was changed, there was a loss of power at times and this would happen after 10 miles of riding. It was traced to a high filtration filter (filter media was finer than average). The clue came when it was noticed there was no problem on a clear day, but appeared when the weather was damp or high in humidity. The filter was taking on moisture and swelling shut. When the cycle sat at home in the garage for several days, the filter dried out and the problem disappeared.

Most filter media have moisture proofing treatment. If this is missing, the filter element will swell and reduce its pores.

I have no idea if this is related to your observation, but mention it for interest.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here