Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
should this battery be ok?

Posted by andrelaplume2 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 29, 11 at 13:27

Mother in law owns 9 month (?) old subaru with 2K miles on it. She is ill. The wife tries to drive every few weeks. Last time she left a map light on...for a couple of weeks before I tried to start it...EVERYTHING dead!

Charged batery on charger. Put back in car. On 3rd attempt it turned over. I let the car idle for 10 minutes. It later started without incident and I took it for a drive.

Should the battery be ok or could some sort of permamnt damage have been done?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: should this battery be ok?

If the battery is fully charged, it should be ok for average use. I can't tell from your post, but I suspect you left the battery not fully charged. Taking it for a drive was a good thing to do for your MIL because you could reset lost settings such as transmission shift timings, etc. However, if it was not driven for enough time, it may not have been fully charged.

Depending on the battery type, it may have lost some cold cranking capacity (CCA). Several years ago, there was a battery on the market that had greater CCA than the average battery, but if it was ever fully discharged, it reverted to the capacity of a standard battery.

A battery that is left in a state of full discharge may begin to coat the plates with sulphates and this diminishes capacity - it all depends on how long it sat discharged.

If the battery is behaving normally, it will probably give good service for a couple of years. The vehicle is only 6 months old so the battery should be relatively new.

What to do if you are uncomfortable with the situation:

Make sure the battery is at a good state of charge either by driving it sufficiently or using a charger. Go to Batteries Plus and have them run a load test. They can tell you if the battery puts out enough current for the battery model.

After the test, make sure the battery gets recharged because the load test takes a lot of charge out of a battery.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here