Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
snow tires

Posted by victory_tea2085 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 23, 08 at 13:26

Thinking of putting a different brand of snow tire on the front of my wife's car. How important is it to stay with the same brand and tread on all four tires? Thanks much

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: snow tires

Tires of the same brand and model on all wheels will react in largely the same way at the limits of adhesion (the limit of traction, etc). Mixing brands and treads is an invitation to making the car's handling unstable (or at least uncertain) when you need the tires most, erasing most of the advantage of using them in the first place.

If budget is a major factor here, you're safer on four cheaper winter tires than you are mixing and matching pairs of more expensive tires.

And, though it's hard to tell from your post, mixing snow tires one one axle with "all-season" or "summer" tires on the other is one of the fastest ways I know to make the back end of your car the front end. Flat-out not recommended.

o
RE: snow tires

If you live somewhere that you actually need winter tires and you have a front wheel drive car, you want the same tire all around. In my area where studded tires are an option, a tire store will not install them on the front only of a front wheel drive car. Less of an issue with non studded tires but I'd think the same principle would apply. jmo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here