Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are these explosive????

Posted by peanutpeanutbutter (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 15, 10 at 11:47

My DS & his roommate rent a house that has a garage conversion--it has a laundry room and a 3rd bedroom converted out of the formerly existing garage.

DS has some unopened cans of motor oil, a can of brake fluid (closed) and some carburetor fluid (also closed) that he keeps outside close to the north side of the house, which gets little to no sun at all.

The roommate, who seems to have some "issues" with a lot of different things, is now convinced these are potential incendiary devices as they remain, closed, but close to the house.

Is the roommate's fear based on fact? If there is no garage, where might be a better & safer place to store these (like, in the laundry room that used to be part of the garage?

Can this stuff be safely kept in the trunk of DS's car?

I tried to find some documentation about this by googling, but didn't come up with anything. Any info on line would be helpful for DS to share with his roommate.

Thanks in advance.
PB

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are these explosive????

No, not explosive. Flammable and combustible, tho. There aren't any extra special issues with these things. Other things in your house are just as much (or more) of a hazard, like some cleaning products. I keep those three things you mentioned in my garage.

I wouldn't keep the carburetor fluid in the car trunk as it's probably in a spray can which can get hot and overpressure in the summer -- and potentially explode if it gets hot enough.

The roommate is worrying too much, IMHO. -- Ken

o
RE: Are these explosive????

Thanks for the input, Ken!

PB

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here