Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vue timing

Posted by cavell (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 28, 12 at 11:00

03 vue. 3.0 v6. Timing belt is due. I have done OHC belts before. But this motor requires u to set timing by adjusting idler pulley to tweak timing. They say u need special gauge/guide to check timing. Is this tweaking of timing fairly common on some newer cars? The Honda 3.5 motor does not require this timing adjustment. Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vue timing

This link gives instructions for resetting/overriding the on-board engine controller (computer).

http://www.ehow.com/how_4520585_adjust-timing-saturn-vue.html

You will need a PC loaded with GM software, a pass through cable adaper, and a Tech 2 scan tool. Apparently, it is the ignition timing that is adjusted.

However, I do not understand why the engine would need re-timing if all that was done was to replace the timing belt with an exact copy. The reference link did say that re-timing was needed only in rare cases.

Other sites mentioned that older belts had timing marks and that these marks are omitted on newer belts. In that case, examine the current position of all sprockets and marks before taking the belt off. Make sketches. If you have a digital camera, take pictures. Take enough views to insure you have plenty of information to insure correct re-asssembly.

If the new belt does not have timing marks, you may wish to add these with a marker. Compare the new belt to the old one, count teeth, and tranfer marks.

If the job seems scary, take to a professional. I understand its a lot of work and you do not want to take a chance on smashing a piston into a valve. Special tools are used to hold the sprockets and crank in place while changing the belt.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here