Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Auto Registration

Posted by goldensmom (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 29, 08 at 10:41

Don't know if anyone can answer this but I recently had my deceased husband's vehicle transfered into my name at the local AAA here in Pa. I had to make a guess as to how many miles was on it and overestimated by 20,000 miles. Does this cause a legal problem come next year for registration as I know I will not be putting that many miles on it as I drive my car most of the time. OR is this only a concern when I sell it? I tried calling Penndot but was on hold for 30 minutes and gave up. Guess I'm concerned about the legality of what they may consider "falsifying" the records. Would appreciate if anyone has an answer. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Auto Registration

What's AAA? The car club?

If insurance is involved I'd fix it. The rate you pay is partially determined by usage. Have an accident when the mileage on the odometer is less than it supposedly started from when they covered you gives them an excuse to deny a claim. I don't think it would be an issue with your DOT until you go to transfer the title. Whatever you write down at that point would be considered an official record. jmo

o

Go back to AAA and take the vehicle in question with you since they may wish to verify the odometer reading. Explain that you made a gross over estimate and wish to correct it. They should be accomodating once they realize the duress you were under. Take a copy of your husband's death certificate as documentation to show that he has really passed away and to support your claim.

o

Excellent advice....Gary and jemdandy

o

One thing you may need is proof of mileage. Service/repair records would provide proof of mileage history to allow them to make a correction. In many ways its not that big of an issue, especially if you are not planning on selling the car.

o

Thanks for the replies....john g was right....I have to produce 2 years of mileage history once I get the title back and resend everything back in all notarized. Oh and they won't accept repair records ... only inspection records. Gary was right about insurance rates so I guess as a young widow one lives & learns.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here