SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njtea

Check engine light on - how far can I drive

njtea
18 years ago

This a.m. I went out and started the car, 2004 Passat, 22,500 miles - initially, it had a rough idle but that ceased. However, the check engine light came on. It's Sunday - and I've got to be someplace 40 miles away at 1 p.m. Can I drive the car?

(Also, VW manual shows check engine light with a "lightening bolt" going through the engine - the light that shows up on my display does not have the "lightening bolt" - is that a different warning?)

FYI, the same sort of thing happened very shortly after I got the car - really rough idle, check engine light on. The dealer told me to have the car towed in for service, which I did. After the car got to the dealer, they told me I would have to pay for towing and what work they had done 'cause the light was not on when the car got into the shop and they couldn't find anything wrong. I told them to check with the tow truck driver who had felt the rough idle. Dealer then said I would not have to pay.

Just in case, this a.m. I took a picture of the display in case this happens again.

Comments (18)

Sponsored