SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
john_g_gw

So your siting in a resturant and read this add on the placemat.

john_g
15 years ago

How would you respond to this?

---------------------------------------------------

$12 Oil Change? Free Tire Rotation? Free Vehicle

Diagnosis?

With all of these "great deals" and endless claims like "why

pay more?" many auto service customers seek price first.

But, does quality and service suffer in order to meet these

rock -bottom prices?

Consider that robot sitting in your driveway, yes, the

technology that is in your car makes it a robot in every

sense of the word. What does it really take to keep it

properly serviced these days? Is it really the promise of a

possible great deal that is the most important thing or

should today's vehicle owner be looking at this issue a lot

closer? The last few decades, have seen vehicles change

drastically because of the on-board computers, and the

implementation of vehicle robotics and telematics. Likewise

so have the tools that are necessary to analyze and help

repair them. Every shop owner "should" be purchasing these

tools and "should" be investing in continuing technician

education to operate them.

DID YOU KNOW? Last year, less than 5% of auto technicians

attended sufficient continuing education and many

technicians have attended none at all in the last several

years.

DID YOU KNOW? The only way to service any of today's cars

completely is with the factory tool specific to its

manufacturer? Many shop owners try to avoid the added

expense of continued training for their techs for two

reasons: the training is costly, and a better trained tech

deserves higher pay. Many shop owners attempt to rely on

only one aftermarket scan tool. These are business practices

that will ultimately lead to the shop failing, because they

won't be trained and equipped to keep pace with today's

cars.

The one shop that has taken the road less traveled, and has

been investing in training and factory tools for all of

Beaver County drivers since they opened their doors over ten

years ago, is Gillespie's Auto Service- Gillespie's is the

only independent repair shop in the Tri-state area staying

up-to-date with factory-level diagnostic equipment for 95%

of the vehicles on the road.

Owner John Gillespie is an ASE certified Master Technician

who not only continues his own education, he is a Car Quest

Technical Institute Instructor. When he is not in his own

shop, John teaches continuing education courses for

professional auto technicians around the country "Sadly, too

many auto repair shops are too busy playing to the idea that

the commodities are worth more than the abilities and

talents of their technicians," says Gillespie. "It does not

matter how cheap someone claims to be if they are not

equipped and trained to service your car completely and

correctly. We realize price is important, so we work hard to

ensure our competitiveness in the marketplace- without

sacrificing any quality know-how."

Comments (8)

• kalining
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I wouldn't worry about it, john. Ever taken your car to a
    fast 10 minuet oil change that costs $12.00 ? That is the labour. By the time you get your car back your bill is $60.00. Friend of mine went to a $19.99 oil change place.
    His bill was $80.00. Free tire rotation ? Well after they tell you " you haven't rotated your tires in time and your
    belts have taken a " set " or you need front end parts. You now need new tires plus if you don't let us fix your
    front end we will pull your car off the road." ( yes they can do that up here.) Your rotation isn't free. Don't go to a place that gives you a " FREE " 25 point inspection
    because they find 25 things to fix. Come on john, you should know better and how the system works. I spent the better of my life working for the big three. We HAD to go to school. The dealership payed for it and we got payed 8
    hours straight time. I was in school almost every 30 days.
    Sometime for a week at a time. G.M. was the worse. They have been known to make a production change in the same car 4 times in one year. With G.M. we were in school sometimes twice a month. I still to this day say to most
    people with a problem car " Take it to your dealer ". I know for a fact that the dealer training you guys have down there is VERY QUESTIONABLE if any. After looking at most of the posts on this site and the trouble people have with their cars and dealers i feel sorry for your car owners. How do i know ? Myself and my partner in a G.M. dealership's trim stall have gone many times to the depot
    to pick up a car shipped to us from the U.S. My Cadillac
    came from a Texas dealer. Couldn't keep the engine light off. My Buick came from North Dakota and i got a car from
    California, all related problems. Actually my partner had
    already done 26 out of country cars before i started with this dealer. We were the best i guess. This was 1988. We
    were " trimmers " payed straight time. I think were got
    $18.75 per hour. Not sure but it sounds right. That was unheard of in 1988 in a dealership. Flat rate was only $15.00 at that time. ( i think ). Our labour rate now is
    $119.95 per hour and our flat rate is $36.00 per hour. That
    means our specailized Trimmers make approximately $40.00
    per hour straight time. The good ones can make more. Every dealer payes different. We all run to the highest paying
    dealer. Bottom line John, don't worry about it. 90 percent
    of people will go to a $12.00 oil change twice. First time
    and last time when they get their bill.

• johndeere
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I would pass on a offer like that.I take my 3 GM vehicals to the dealer.Who has a GM Goodwrench quick lane.Yes its a quick lube type place in a seperate building from the service department.But is still owned and operated by the dealership.I pay $21.50 for an oil change and $10.00 for a tire rotation.

What I like about it is they know me by name and they realise I buy my vehicals from them.I can watch them like a hawk and they relise that I do.I stand over there shoulder to make sure the new oil is exactly on the full mark.I stand back and get on my knees to watch the oil filter replacment.If I had to wait in a waiting room I would do it my self.But they realise I am keeping my eye on them and will not be afraid to Call them on something not done right.

I only trust my vehicals to a dealership.I avoid the privatly owned places.I also stick to this same dealership for my vehical buying and repairs and maintanance.There is a earned trust both ways I feel?They realise I am a good customer and they want to keep my business.Works out well for me.

I would not trust the grease monkey doing a $12.00 special.Because he could not be making enough money to care about me or my car.I wonder about people who get there oil changed at Walmart and Kmart from a kid making $8.00 per hour if he is lucky.