Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'01 Mitsubishi Eclipse Trans. problem

Posted by rd0124 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 10, 09 at 8:52

2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 87000 miles

2001 Mit. Eclipse GT auto. tran. w/ sport shift. Without any previous symptoms, the trans. stop putting power to the wheels. While driving in "D", the rpm's went up and I was coasting. No gears work (D or R). It sounds and feels as if it is trying to go into gear, but only rev.s up, no power to the wheels. It will shift into "N" because I can push it. Any ideas since no earlier symptoms? Clogged trans. filter? Some hose disconnect? Or complete Transaxle shot? Thanks! -> non-mechanic here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: '01 Mitsubishi Eclipse Trans. problem

Its hard to say. Tow it to a transmission shop and let them have a look. It's probably shot.

Those electronically adjustable transmissions do not provide much advance warning because as it wears, adjustments are made. Failure from wear out comes suddently.

I think that something broke. Doesn't your transmission have a "run home" mode? In this mode, it defaults to 2nd gear. Try moving the shifter from 'drive' to '3' or '2' to see if you have anything. Do you have reverse? If you have none of these, its tow time for sure.

o

I would first check for any recalls for your transmission. Sometimes they apply regardless of mileage. BTW I have an 07 GT with the dual use auto/manual transmission thats acting up.

o

I had to post on this because I have the exact same car including year, mine has 130000 on it.. the same thing, to a tee, is what has happened to mine. If you have figured anything out please let me know. I may need to have it hauled off to the shop.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here