Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DIY replacement of cabir air filter

Posted by jbobbie (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 24, 09 at 1:17

Hi, I am helping a friend change his cabin air filter and I saw this video on how to change cabin air filter. I would like to know if it also applies to Prius

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DIY replacement of cabir air filter

The cabin air filter on a Prius is behind the glove box. Beyond simply being able to look at it and see what you need to do to remove and reinstall the glove box, make sure you empty it out before you release it and allow it to pivot down to the floor to remove it from its hinge, because its easy to snap the hinges off.

o

Same place as my Scion! I dont use a regular filter,use a normal household furnace filter, cut down to size! One can get many filters from one household filter. Its a common trick found on many Scion/Toyota forums. Maybe it isnt quite as effective as the toyota brand filter, but it does a good job! I know my Scion didn't even come with one, (none of the 2005 scions did, maybe that has changed now)

o

The filtering capabilites of the correct filter exceed any home filter. Hacking in a piece of a house air filter instead of installing the correct filter is hurting your friend instead of helping him/her out.

o

Well it can't be that important, if the cars don't even come with one!! Maybe not the greatest logic, but it works,lol

o

LOL afg..

The idea of the cabin air filter is it reduces the chance of molds growing in the evaporator case. There was once a time no-one cared but through the 90's we saw ever increasing numbers of HVAC odor complaints. Now granted, every car does not come with a filter, and those that do not have a much greater risk for the HVAC odors occurring. The main point is, if the car does come with a filter, it should be serviced correctly to help ensure the car works completely as designed.

o

I would think a MERV10 HVAC filter would be even better than the dealer part. The MERV10 can be bought for $10 and yield up to 4 (at least) car filters...how much do you pay for a single dealer one...$15+?

o

andre..

Picture someone else doing that and charging someone for that "service". Now go around and ask anyone else if the "shop" that installed the cut off house filter ripped them off by not installing the correct part.

o

I dont think one can compare if you did it your self with a "home" filter and if one went to a garage, and they put in a "home" filter. One has different expectation in that case!

And what kind of mechanic are you John??? I saw your picture--from your radio show----, and you look far too clean to be a mechanic. lol I'm only kidding, we all here appreciate your wisdom and time. have a great holiday season! I foresee extra "home' filters under your xmas tree, lol take care

o

afg,, "I dont think one can compare if you did it your self with a "home" filter and if one went to a garage, and they put in a "home" filter. One has different expectation in that case!"

There should not be a different expectation, but the perception that it is OK for someone who is decidedly inexperienced, and uneducated in the field of automotive maintenance to hack something into the car and it's being seen as both cheaper and of reasonable quality underscores one of the reasons mechanics can do their jobs correctly and still be treated as if they are dishonest while doing so.

While doing training for a large retail chain recently, one of the area managers asked me for some possible ideas about why they have difficulty retaining technicians. The poor ones stay, while any that have real potential to be good move on in less than two years. The way they market attracts a great number of customers who would be likely to see such hacks as attempting to cut a house filter instead of installing what belongs there as genuinely a good idea. There is a cost associated to such attempts at savings like that air filter hack. This company is so directly affected by it that when I asked him back if he would want his son or daughter to seek a career as a technician inside his company he admitted that would not be desireable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here