SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
downsouth_gw

Could I get your opinions, please.

downsouth
16 years ago

About two weeks ago, we were sitting at a red light waiting to make a right turn. The guy in front of us decided he couldn't make the turn so he puts it in reverse and guess who is sitting behind him?! He was driving a long flat bed hauler. It bent the hood up like a V shape, and damaged the front lights and grill. It didn't do any damage to the radiator. We were able to drive it home after the accident and went to a rental car agency the next morning.

The insurance company talked about totaling the car but the body shop said it is fixable (of course they want our business). The insurance co. said it was up to us.

It's a 1998 Toyota Avalon XL (some of you might remember this is the car where I posted a vibrating problem while driving, but since it doesn't do it often, we haven't found this problem yet.) The damage estimate is $3,900 (I forgot to ask if part of this amount is for labor.) The car's value is $6,700.

Our son said take the money and run. We want it fixed as we don't want car payments again (we just retired), but our son says we could find a nice used car for $6,700. I really do like this car. It drives great and I love how it sits. He knows I have complained since we bought it that it pulls to the left. It always has but it's not a major problem.

It's in very good condition, no dents, nothing missing, low mileage for a 1998 (129K), sunroof, leather seats. I should say it "was" in very good condition, LOL. We have had work done at this body shop before and they do excellent work.

If it were your car, would you keep it or take the check? This is the only car we have.

Thanks, Dee

Comments (8)

Sponsored