Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2 snows or four?

Posted by Victory_tea2085 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 23, 05 at 23:02

My wife has a 2005 Focus and recently talked to a salesman about snow tires. He advised she put snows all the way around, instead of just the 2 in the front. What do the members of this forum think about this? Is he just trying to sell another set of snows or will it really make a difference?
Paul F B

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2 snows or four?

AFAIK, he's correct. You're not supposed to mix tire types (Summer/Snow) on a vehicle...

TJ

o

Four. I put two on my front-wheel-drive car one year to try and save a few bucks and managed to spin the car a couple of times that winter. Two snows in the front will leave the naturally-lighter rear end with little grip and it will come around, sometimes when you least expect it.

o

steve,

from what i gather, i would be best to leave 4 brand new m+s tires as is and not go to the added expense of purchasing two rims and snow tires...

here in the north, common practice is to purchase a set of winter tires, mount them on designated rims and use them only during the snow covered months...

wondering what others think...

cheers
windr

o

I'm not much of a fan of "all-season" tires (the demands on them are so broad they're really not much good at anything), but I'll agree that four all-season tires will be more predictable and, in their own way, safer than putting on just two snow tires.

The best thing to do, though, is to buy four snow tires, mount them on their own rims (steel is fine and will look better after a while than alloy wheels), and switch every winter and spring. This also has the added benefits of letting you use true "summer" tires for the best performance (if that kind of thing matters to you) and extends the life of your tires because you're not using some of them for several months at a time.

FWIW, my snows are on by around Halloween and they come off sometime before Memorial Day. Around here, ice is a possibility at any time in between.

o

Four. Tire stores in my area won't even install two snow tires on a front wheel drive car anymore.

o

Way back in the good(?) old days, circa 1960s, when most cars were rear wheel driven, it was a common practice to put snow tires only on the rear wheels. However, in my experience, this sometimes affected handling. I've had cars that would develop "road wander" at highway speeds. These would not track a constant line and required continous steernig wheel correction to keep it in a lane. This was very tiresome on a trip of any length. I attributed this behavor to differences in sidewall and tread stiffenss in the side direction. Therefore, for best handling, use the same type of tire both front and rear.

o

Even if the consensus is snow/ice tires all around, there are places where it snows only several times per year.

What worked well for me was installing chains on the summer tires for those infrequent events.
The car at that time was a 60s Saab 93 - thus equipped this baby would go anywhere !

Here in SE PA, IMO, snow tires are a waste of time and money, UNLESS a man must drive to a necessary destination..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here