Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wipers troubles

Posted by author62 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 30, 05 at 20:44

Hi Folks,

I have 98 ford ranger and seems the wipers are going on the blink. Most of the time the wipers do not work on the intermittent settings or the just get stuck mid-swipe. However, the reg and fast speed settings work. I live in Alaska so I need to get them taken care of soon. One auto repair place said the wiper motor needs replaced ($70 part) and and another said it was the switch. I don't know what that means. Please advise so I can make an informed decision or at least know the right questions to ask the repair shop. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Ruby

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wipers troubles

The wiper motor itself is ok since it works on regular and high speed. However, it may need replacing since there is so much more stuff being intergated into the wiper motor assembly these days, for example, the park switch.

Your problem is with the intermittment feature, and since I don't have a repair manual for your vehicle, I don't know where that feature is located. It could be part of the wiper switch assembly, or there may be a separate module that controls the intermittent function. The wiper switch may be at fault since the delay timing is often included in this assembly.

Maybe someone else can offer more specific information.

A repair manual would be really helpful. If you don't have one, you might be able to see selected pages from an on-line manual at your local library.

o
RE: wipers troubles

I am sure you have a problem with the multi-function switch and not the wiper motor . You will probly need to have a tech change this for you. He should be able to test the switch before replacing.
HTH Bob

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here