Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Third brake light on with parking lights

Posted by kohokoho (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 9, 07 at 20:25

What could cause the third (upper) brake light in the rear to come on whenever I turn on the parking lights in my 95 Corolla?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Third brake light on with parking lights

I don't know anything about your car specifically. Generally speaking, if your car uses dual filament bulbs, ie one bulb serves as brake and tail light in the rear, I'd start looking closely at those. Often times the end of one filament will burn or break off in one of these bulbs, allowing it to contact the other filament. That creates an alternate path for electricity to flow, perhaps back feeding the lights you're talking about. Even a bad connection at the socket bulb plugs into can sometimes cause strange things to happen. Other things to check would be the grounds related to your lighting, especially those that might be in the trunk area. Also check the fuses. Sometimes an open fuse causes grounding or back feeding through seemingly unrelated circuits.

That's all I've got. Good luck.

o

The high mount lamp shares a ground with the lamps on the right rear lens. The most likely cause of it coming on with the parking lamps is a back feed is occuring because of the ground in the center, rear of the trunk failing/corroding.

Pull the high mount bulb while the parking lamps are on and you should see the affected circuits react to the loss of the ground that they are finding through that bulb.

o

Thanks for your responses Gary & John. I will try to do what you have said. I should have also mentioned that the parking lights (and of course the third(upper) brake lights) come on whenever I press on the brakes, and I hope that this confirms to you that you were right on in your guesses.

Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here