SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jasonmi7

Brakes frozen--mechanic says needs new calipers?

jasonmi7
18 years ago

Let me give you a little background.

We get huge discounts on ALL Ford products. In 2001, we bought a 2002 Mazda Protege5 wagon. Not a bad little car; perhaps a little young for us (okay, it's tinny). But it did okay for a while. Enter MIL. MIL needs car. MIL LOVES our car. So we sell it to her for what we owe (after six months, and after our discount, everyone is happy).

Anyhow; that's not the story. Here it is in a nutshell. MIL (who lives in a very small town, in a very Northern Climate), takes the car in for it's 'winterization checkup'. Mechanic does the usual, but tells her the rear calipers are frozen, they need to be replaced, and he can't find the parts to do it. Mechanic states that he needs new brake calipers for the car, and it'll cost literially hundreds of dollars to fix this, as there aren't many refurb parts out there.

I am kind of suspicious; I mean, I've seen brakes freeze before on cars. Almost always, it's the brake piston at the wheel that does it. And they're cheap. Rebuild kits for brakes are even cheaper.

So what do you think. Can a caliper actually 'freeze', or is it another component, such as the brake caliper piston that's the culprit?

Comments (7)

Sponsored