Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heel wear near accelerator peddle.

Posted by Jerry_NJ (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 21, 05 at 19:22

I was vacuuming the floor on our one year old Forester which has nice carpeting and nice matching mats. The mats are so nice one hates to see them wear too.

On cleaning the mat at the driver's side an obvious wear spot is developing where the right foot's heal rests when using the accelerator. Looking I though too bad there isn't an off the shelf pad one can buy to protect that area. Even a black (works with all colors) vinyl would work for me. It would be about 4 inches on a side and have some kind of a backing that would reduce slip. That is a velcro like that would grip the carpeting but could be removed for cleaning and for replacement. Has anyone seen something like this or some other idea that would serve the same purpose?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heel wear near accelerator peddle.

"Has anyone seen something like this or some other idea that would serve the same purpose?"

Yeah! Got one. Been using it since 1955. Ain't seen one in a store since. My brother bought it in the late 40's and guv it to me in '55. It slides on down over the throttle pedal and has a heel pad -- all one piece. Its for a pedal that hinges on the floor. Its rotten with age. :-)

o

Heck! Some good ideas just die, nobody knows why.

I remember my early cars, all had rubber mats, no carpets then. I guess we just put down new rubber when it wore out, no come to think about it, those cars didn't last long enough to wear the mat out. Today we drive a car over 100,000 miles, that's a lot of wear-and-tear on the carpets, and everything else that has trouble living up to the great engines and lubricants.

o

"On cleaning the mat at the driver's side an obvious wear spot is developing where the right foot's heal rests when using the accelerator."

The mats are there to protect the carpet. I suspect the intent is for the mat to be "sacrificial". If it get worn replace the mat. This is why a lot of GM carpets have rubber in the foot area with carpet surrounding.

If you leave the plastic on the couch it theoretically shouldn't get dirty. right? Better yet if you don't use it all it shouldn't show any signs of wear.

How many layers of protection is enough?

sorry, I couldn't help myself

o

You could get an inexpensive floor mat in the same color and texture as the factory ones, or get a clear floor mat. Then cut a small piece of rubber from inexpensive mat and rubber cement it to the spot which gets the most wear. Then when that piece wears out, just peel it off and cut a new piece out of the other floor mat, and glue a new one in there.

For what it's worth, I had the GM factory floor mats in my truck, but I took them out and put in some of the deeply treaded ones that actually hold water in them. The factory mats look nice, but they're just flat pieces of rubber, so the water runs right off the mat onto the carpet. So now my GM ones are staying very nice because they're hanging on the wall of the garage. If I ever sell the truck, I can toss them back in and they'll look new.

o

cowboyind,
I like your approach. The factory mats must be around $100 for a set, and I doubt they sell the drive's side alone.

My new pickup, a Colorado, has matching color (to the carpet) vinyl mats, and as you experienced, when I get in the truck with wet feet, the water sits there and can run off onto the carpet. I'll look and see whats available in a waterproof and absorbent form.

As for wraping the couch in plastic, that would defeat the purpose/decore, but putting arm rest protectors on in the same fabric seems OK to me. That's what I'm looking for in the car application, some way to extend the good looks of the floor without going to high cost replacement of factory mats. In the old days when women work high heals, the car's floor really took a beating. That's not the case now in my home, still there's a wear spot developing after about 12,000 miles of use on the car.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here