Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clear coat peeling off

Posted by scarlett2001 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 29, 08 at 18:48

So how do I deal with this? Should I go to an auto paint place or the dealership? It's really bad, not a little patch but all over the roof. I can't paint over it, obviously.

Is there some way they can just get it all off without destroying the paint underneath? Or am I looking at a big operation? It's not new, but I still want to drive it a long time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clear coat peeling off

Any good body shop will do. How to proceed depends on the cause of the problem. That's where an experts eye comes in. You didn't say how old your vehicle is or the environment it's been in. What seems to happen in older cars that have been in the sun a lot, the sun shines through the clear coat and damages the color coat. The clear coat then becomes delaminated and flakes off. That's where the expert comes in. You may just have the paint flaking off the top today, but the hood and deck lid may be next up tomorrow. If the problem is only with the clear coat, it is possible to wet sand it and re-apply. Time is money and paint work always takes a lot of time.

The most cost effective way of dealing with it is to leave it alone and drive it. It won't be the best looking car on the block, but it surely won't be the only one with a flake away paint job either. If nice paint jobs were cost effective, everyone would have one. jmo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here