Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OK to Use Carb Cleaner on F.I. Engines?

Posted by Mister_H (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 18, 05 at 18:26

I have a few bottles of STP and Gunk carb cleaners that I bought sometime ago but I don't have carb engines anymore. Is it OK to use them on F.I. engine with injectors?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OK to Use Carb Cleaner on F.I. Engines?

Well, I have with no apparent ill results. They all are basically solvents of one type or another, so I don't see much of a problem using them.

o

Why would you use carb cleaner on a F.i. engine ? F.I.
engines don't have carbs. You can pore the stuff in but you can kiss your O2 sensor good by if it has one. Sell your Carb cleaner at the next garage sale.

o

I don't buy the O2 sensor death. O2 sensors go back to the 1980s when carbs and carb cleaner were common. I agree also with the first response, there's a lot clean besides the fuel injectors, most additives also remove water and carbon on valves,... no reason to throw it out, make good use of it, but not all at once. I use cleaner, sometimes a combined carb/injector (hey what's that about??) sold under the "Tech" barnd at WalMart about once every 5 refills. Some have said there are gasolines outthere that already have cleaner in it, such as Shell. I haven't seen Shell advertising this, but the subject did come up on the Tractor forum of the Garden family of forums. I take it at face value.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here