SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hazel52

Alignment and mechanic question

Hazel52
18 years ago

Thanks for reading this post and double thanks for posting a reply.

I brought my 2000 Buick Century to my mechanic for an inspection last month and he said that while the car was sound, the front struts were worn and probably should be replaced before the next inspection. I agreed to have the work done then and there and picked up the car the next day.

After driving the car on a straight road with no traffic lights, I noticed my wheel was cocked to the right slightly for the car to drive straight. It also felt like the steering was a little looser than before. I called the mechanic and he told me to bring it in. I picked it up and drove it home and I don't see any improvement in the wheel positioning or the loosnes that I noted. I'll have a chance soon to bring it to someone and wonder if I should go back to this mechanic and ask him to drive it for himself and hopefully fix the problems.

I'm also noticing that when I go over a bump at 30mph or more, the front wheels take it well but the back wheels shift a little, like a slight fish-tail. I wonder if I'm just more sensitive to the car's suspension because the front struts are new and the rear's are original.

So, am I being picky about my wheel alignment; it being noticibly cocked for a straight run? When I bought the car 2 years ago, the tie rods were shot and the steering was super sloppy. Does the mechanic do anything to the tie rods when replacing the struts? I'm wondering if that is causing the looseness in the wheel.

Again, thanks for reading and posting.

Hazel

Comments (10)

Sponsored