Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pickup Bed Storage Box

Posted by Casey_WA (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 29, 05 at 17:53

We have a 2005 Ford Ranger with a 6 foot bed and a standard cab. There is not much room for behind the seat storage...acutally nearly none. We would like a secure/weather tight storage box to be placed in the rear bed.

We have looked at Weatherguard, Delta and others but can not find one that quite meets our needs. Would like a chest style that is no more than 17 inches tall, 47 inches long and 18 inches from front to back. Steel, alum or black...does not matter.

Would like to hear from others what has worked for them or not worked...and if they like what they have where did they get it from. A good price is always nice...

Thanks, Casey

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pickup Bed Storage Box

I got an 8ft bed and if I had a tool box I could hold anything without laying down the tailgate and tying it down. Now I dont own any tool box and suffer becuase of it also when I need to the dry storage. If I could afford it I would get something called "side boxes" that go over the wheel well saving you precious bed space esp. w/ a 6ft your going to be hurting to haul anything more than a box or groceries.

o

GoodOleBoy...I agree with you. Luckily we are not using the little Ranger for hauling a bunch of stuff. We have an Exolorer with a V8 for towing whatever and use a utility trailer for lumber, trash, gravel, beauty bark and the such. My commuter car is an 83 Civic. The Ranger is for our daughter (who is away at college). She is studying veterinary medicine with an emphasis on large animals so the Ranger is something she can use if she needs hay, grain or who-knows-what. Thus, having a spacious bed is not #1. Ruled out tonneau covers (hard or soft) and caps. Either too limiting on the size of what can go into the bed or too cumbersome in trying to load something heavy or large.

Since I am spending the money for college and the Ranger I am trying to keep some costs down and this is why I did not get her an F350 diesel with four-doors (would be nice). I have the honor of driving the Ranger around for awhile for a break-in period to work out any kinks before our daughter takes it back to college with her.

So not looking for anything fancy, but something strong, weather tight and not a cheap paperthin thing. Hoping that another set of eyes out there are seen something I might of missed.

Thank you, Casey

o

Sears and a few farm stores in the area also truck specialty shops also sell what you are looking for.
You may want to try finding a ford ranger forum ont he net and ask there.I know on the chevy site I visit lots of people recomend brands of boxes etc..

Good Luck

o

Found a Ford website and it has been pretty good for information...they endorse the Weatherguard boxes, though they are a bit pricy. Just wanted to cover all my bases, might end up with the Weatherguard but wanted to make sure I was not missing something else. Thanks

o

Greenlee and knaack make boxes that fit inside the bed. Have seen them at home depot.

Here is a link that might be useful: google for greenlee tool box

o

Thanks you all. I have ordered a Weatherguard box from a guy I know that gave me a little discount. After all the research that I have done, little is an understatement, I have learned that the Weatherguard is the best in this situation. Time will actually tell after it is installed and have used it for awhile.

Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here