Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buying a Geo Metro

Posted by shravan (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 14, 06 at 17:08

I am looking out for a car and the one that has caught my eye has the following specifications:

Model: 1995 Geo Metro
Transmission: Automatic
Engine: 4 Cylinder
Mileage: 122k

Upon speaking to the owner, I was told that the timing belt was replaced recently and there are no problems with the engine as such. Do let me know if there is anything to watch out for here and also if I should go ahead with this car.
Thanks
Awaiting replies
Shravan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buying a Geo Metro

their tough little cars owned one several yrs, my sister in law now owns it. mostly problem free. its a suzuki, they have a rep as building great small cars. the 3 spd automatic isnt great, nothing wrong with it, but a 5spd manual would give better mpg. the car is its best as a in city commuter car, not great on the highway. all in all no compaints overall with mine, it now has 220k on it still going great.

o

Here is a recent review of the Geo Metro. It is from the excellent online magazine Windingroad.com

Here is a link that might be useful: WindingRoad.com Click here.

o

Thanks a lot for the follow up. Would that mean that doing 70mph or so for 2-4 hrs would hurt the engine? I do have to travel once in a while within Kansas, would that hurt the car too much?

o

shravan, it should be fine. Most cars do not need to produce that much horsepower to keep a car moving once it's up to 70 mph (especially on a flat surface like Kansas). The better question is, would doing 70 mph or so for 2-4 hrs hurt the driver? With an automatic, a Metro can be pretty buzzy. It could get on your nerves after a couple of hours.

o

Metros are great little cars but be sure and check underneath before you buy one. Control arms can rust and break, then car is pretty much done in.
Jasper

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here