SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennmonkey

Transmission or maybe clutch problem??

jennmonkey
17 years ago

I'm having a problem with my 91' Nissan Pathfinder (4wheel drive, manual) and I thought maybe someone would recognize this problem.

I noticed a few weeks ago that it seemed harder to shift gears, almost stiff feeling. But it seemed to loosen up and shift okay after driving it for awhile. In the last few weeks, it has gotten harder and harder to shift. No grinding really, only a few times, and the clutch seems a little easier to push down than before. On Saturday night, we left a Halloween party, and when we first got into the car, it wouldn't go into any gear at all. After the car had sat there idling for a few minutes, then we were able to push it into the gears and drive home, but it took some muscle to do so.

So...a friend of mine who know something about cars said it might be the hydrolics in the clutch, maybe needing fluid. Since I don't know much about cars, I just wanted maybe a general idea of what it might be before I go in and someone tries to charge me a million bucks.

Anyone have this problem or could take a guess what might be the problem? (I understand that I will probably have to take it in and get diagnosed by a mechanic anyways), but if it's just fluid or something, my boyfriend could do it and save us the money.

Thanks, Jenn

Comments (3)

Sponsored