SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerry_nj

Check Engine Lighet AGAIN

jerry_nj
13 years ago

Sorry for the capitals, just trying to scream my dissatisfaction with my low mileage 2005 Chevy Colorado, with the big 4 cylinder engine and manual transmission.

The truck was purchased new, and has seen only light duty, about 13,000 miles on it to date. The biggest load it has had is a yard of mulch and a light aluminum fishing boat in tow for short distances and that no more than 10 times a year for both.

Anyway the check engine light came on shortly after the 36 month point and when I paid the dealer to check it, it got a new oxygen sensor. I forget the cost but well over $100.

The light came on again today, and I thought wouldn't it be nice to have a code reader - e.g., the Action CP9410 on Amazon for $55, with over 100 customer reader reports on file.

Does the owner manual for the Chevy tell me where the code reader plugs in? I assume it is something "hanging" under the dash, or on the engine side of the firewall.

In spite of the good advice from "johng", I'm a committed shade tree everything (mechanic, electrician, plumber, painter, cabinet maker) so why not at least have a "shot" at the problem with a code reader. The truck is running normally with the light on (has been on for about 5 miles, and came on while I was doing an unusually rapid acceleration trying to fit into a stream of 45 mph traffic passing by the store drive I was waiting in). I don't know if the push acceleration set something off that will pass, but I did check and reset the oil change function. The light remains on.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH