Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need a little advice on my diesel van.....

Posted by tina_2 (purplegard4me@aol.com) on
Fri, Oct 3, 08 at 15:32

Hi - I have a full size diesel van - 1992 chevy. Well, today when I was starting it up, the key only went half turn in the ignition and I had to push hard to start up my van. It felt as though the ignition had a catch or rough area to go through. Then, the elec. locks, windows, air cond., and the speedometer would not work. Also, the brake light stayed on. Well, I didn't get far. It, was way to warm not to have the air and too scary what with the controls all messed up.
Can anyone, shed some light on this for me.
Thanks for your time. Please email me at -
purplegard4me@aol.com ...... tina_2

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need a little advice on my diesel van.....

With anything like this, its a bit of a guess to say exactly what has happened at this point. But I suspect "the rack" may have broken, or the gear that drives the rack at the inside end of the lock cylinder may have broken loose. Of course the problem could just as easily be the lock cylinder or the ignition switch, but regardless a tech will have to start disassembling the column to find out what has happened. The first step IMO would be to drop the column and remove the ignition switch. If that proves the fault is up inside the column, then the steering wheel will need pulled, and the turn signal switch taken out of the way so the lock cylinder can be removed. Once that is proven good, or bad, you will have your answer to whether the column will require further disassembly to the point of where the rack and gear can be serviced or not.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here