SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blush28

Car Value depreciation after accident

blush28
18 years ago

Long story here - my car was in an accident (I was sleeping it was 1am in the morning); it was hit (along with one other vehicle) by a drunk college student and was 6000 in repairs. He was on his father's insurance, which did make the repairs, but there are other issues, and I want to find out if I have any recourse. First, I had only just recently purchased the vehicle and at the time had not even made the 2nd car payment (when the vehicle was hit). Secondly, I had already been considering trading the vehicle in because when I purchased it, I was not aware that I was pregnant with twins. So, now I am going on 4 months pregnant (just got the car back) and took it to CarMax to have it appraised. It doesn't have any frame damage, but because of the body damage repairs, my car lost about $6K in value. CarMax told me to pursue the other party's insurance for depreciation to my vehicle's resale value.

My concerns:

A) Will I be safe in this vehicle?

B) I was looking to purchase a used SUV since I now have a Honda Accord - I actually prefer cars, but since I will be hauling twins in and out, I'd rather it be an SUV or minivan or something.

C) I am royally pissed that I have 6K in negative equity over something that wasn't my fault. I have had the car 2-3 months and haven't even driven it that much.

Should I just suck it up and keep the vehicle for 3+ years until I break even? Or should I try to pursue the insurance route?

So lost and confused and frustrated!

Cynthia

Comments (16)

Sponsored