Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
occasional squeal after break job.

Posted by jimrac (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 6, 05 at 13:47

Hi all,

i had my 2 rtors changed on the front wheels, and all the pads replaced all the way around.

now, after about 2 weeks or so, when you start the car up in the morning, initially pressing the breaks a couple of times you get the squealing. it goes away after a while. then the car sits for a few hours or so, you start it up, then initially it squeals again, and goes away.

any ideas whats happening? should i have the mechanics that diid the break job previoulsly fix it?

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: occasional squeal after break job.

I think this sounds normal. Brakes are not as quiet as they used to be because the pad materials now have more metal in them to take the place of absestos, which isn't used anymore due to health and environmental concerns. Actually, having the brakes only squeal for the first two applications is pretty good. A lot of them squeal all the time, and the more you pay for pads, often the more squealing you get. The "standard grade" pads are usually the quietest.

o

There is nothing to "fix", this is a general characteristic of disk brakes. The garage probably uses a decent performance pad rather than one yielding the quietest possible performance..
IMO, they could do better by informing the customer as to the many brake pad and rotor options, and that pads do squeal and squeak at times..Of course this will increase the cost of the "brake job" somewhat..

o

thanks gentleman,

i thought there might be dirt, or maybe moisture cauisnf it or something. to me it seemed strange it appears the front left side squeals but i think the right doesnt?

Jim

o

It's possible that one side is a little dirtier than the other, or that pad is breaking in a little differently. I wouldn't worry too much about though if it's just a squeak and only for the first few applications.

One really nice thing about the fact that so many cars now have alloy wheels rather than hubcaps as they used to have is that you can keep a lot better eye on your brakes without much effort. Most of the alloy wheels have big spaces in them that you can see through, and you can look at your rotors periodically and make sure they look approximately the same from side to side, and aren't scored too badly.

One other good way to test your brakes is to apply them moderately on a smooth, level road and make sure the car doesn't pull one way or the other. If the car stops straight and smooth, with no pulling to one side or the other, I think your brakes are probably fine.

o

New rotors don't have the glaze on them yet, as a result they willl accumulate corrosion after sitting for even a little while. After a couple thousand miles they won't rust as quickly.

o

ok thanks, cowboy those are some real helpful hints

much appreciated

o

New brakes don't " squeal " unless the rotors weren't cut
and the anti squeal pads were not installed. Haven't had a
squealing car yet unless it was a Dodge and that was rear drums. You are not giving us enough info. Did you get hard
pads with cheap rotors ? Did you get metalic pads ? Are your caliper slides worn ? Did they grease the slides ? Are
the slide pins worn? Were the rims torked properly or just
blasted on with an impact gun ? Your describing loose fitting brake parts. When heated it goes away. Something else is worn out. Squealing is a very high frequency vibration. Something is loose.

o

Kalining,
Your statement is not 100 % accurate. I have Customers in my shop on a weekly Basis for Brake repairs and many of them have Brakes that are Squealing. On many of these, when I move the Vehicle into the service area, about 20-50 feet away, the brakes will squeal as as you apply pressure. To get a "Frequency vibration" a person would have to be going faster than 1/2 - 3 MPH,that is aprox. the speed a car is doing when I pull into a service Bay. Point is, Brakes can & do squeal from Dirt, or Glaze.

Posted by: kalining (My Page) on Sat, Oct 8, 05 at 21:54

"Your describing loose fitting brake parts. When heated it goes away. Something else is worn out. Squealing is a very high frequency vibration. Something is loose. "

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here