Return to the Cars Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trouble Shooting 88 Vintage Cruise Control

Posted by bucky (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 2, 07 at 13:24

Fellas: The cruise on my 88 Chevy Van is acting up. It will hold speed for 10 minutes or so and then backs off. It doesn't disengage completely as if you push on the gas pedal (kinda help it a bit) it pulls back and keep set speed for a while and then slows down again. I have replaced all of the vacuum hoses from the engine block to the dash control. I did have a bad vacuum leak at the dash control but that has been corrected. My question: How can I trouble shoot the cruise system to determine what part in the system is causing the problem. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trouble Shooting 88 Vintage Cruise Control

your cruise transducer is bad.

o

Thats good to know. Where is this transducer located on an 88 Chevy 350 Sports Van G20? Thanks a lot

o

If it is a mechanical transduser it is under the hood with
the speedometer cables connected to it. If it is electronic it is under the dash by the steering shaft.
( sometimes ). Get the manual for your van. It can tell you
more than i can.

o

Kalining: Thanks for the info. I'm working with a Haynes Manual for my van and it has absolutely zilch on the cruise control system. I have just purchased a GM shop manual on ebay and am awaiting its delivery. I hope it has the info I need. Thanks again for the response.

o

If you have the type of transducer (under the hood) that uses speedometer cables, check for a clogged vent. This may be a cap with a small hole in it, and with a filter inside it. Clean or replace the filter. Never operate the control without the filter. A plugged vent may cause erratic behavior of the speed control.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cars Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here